Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless connectivity to modem

brandongr
Follower

Wireless connectivity to modem

Good day.  

I hope my explanation / problem will make sense.  We run a home school and run a peer to peer network.  Only staff have access to wireless, the rest are accessed via ethernet.  We have no real issues with the ethernet connectivity.

We have approximately 18 staff members using a mix of laptop and smartphone / tablet.  We have continual issues with battling to connect or continued signal dropping.

It was suggested that the D1500 may have a limit to the number of people who can connect wirelessly.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks, Brandon.

Model: D1500|N300 WiFi DSL Modem Router-Essential Edition
Message 1 of 2

Re: Wireless connectivity to modem

If you are trying to feed a whole school from one inexpensive modem/router – the D1500 is pretty basic – I would look at the strength of the wifi rather than the number of people trying to connect to it. But if they all 18 people have a tablet, smartphone and laptop, then 54 clients is a lot.

The wifi on this device is also pretty slow, with no support for 5 GHz wifi.

I fear that you are asking a lot from a basic modem/router.

Remember, everything will depend on the speed of your internet connection. Everyone has to share that. 18 people trying to use, say, 18 Mbps means 1 Mbps each. (That's a gross simplification, but you see the point.) And if there are wired LAN links in there too, they have to share that bandwidth.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7