Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: admin name change to something else I.E. DonaldDuck D7000 AC1900

MrVee
Aspirant

admin name change to something else I.E. DonaldDuck D7000 AC1900

I have changed my routers password to a strong one of 25+ symbols and characters.   Now I want to change the default name of "admin" to something new, different example DonaldDuck.  The question is simple can it be done???

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
William10a
Master

Yes you can change the users name I would change it admin is way too weak and known as a standard default users name for the Netgear and others others.

Message 2 of 7

@MrVee wrote:

The question is simple can it be done???

As I understand it, and in my experience, the answer is no.

Message 3 of 7
MrVee
Aspirant

Responses came back both that it CAN and CAN NOT be changed.  It would seem stupid by Netgear to prevent a end user from changing one of the most common default names "admin" to something other, unique to the users setup.

If it can be changed,...then how?  Will Netgear Genie do it?  Again the question now is how?

Message 4 of 7

@MrVee wrote:

Responses came back both that it CAN and CAN NOT be changed. 

Yes. Sorry about that. Very confusing.

My answer was based on the many complains that have appeared here telling us that you cannot change Admin.

Here are just two of the many messages:

Changing default Username - NETGEAR Communities

Solved: How do I change the default username on WNDR3700v5 - NETGEAR Communities

Perhaps the other user can explain how they changed their admin username.

@MrVee wrote:

It would seem stupid by Netgear to prevent a end user from changing one of the most common default names "admin" to something other, unique to the users setup.

Yes, it would be nice to add that level of security, but I am not going to lose sleep over it. I have seen no reports here of people who have been hacked because of the common username.

Look at it this way, if you have a really good password, how can someone get into your router?

Message 5 of 7
MrVee
Aspirant

Message 6 of 7
William10a
Master

The wndr3400 v1 allowed the setting of a different users name so why take it away on the new routers it leaves you with only one layer of security from a person logging into your router on a wired lan network. The link I found on netgears web site show how one person changed the admin users name

Most other routers allow the changing of the users name and fact they want you too change it.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Change-default-quot-admin-quot-web-based-adm...

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7