Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: d7000 nighthawk cannot connect to internet isp is sky

Imnewhere2017
Aspirant

d7000 nighthawk cannot connect to internet isp is sky

Hi to all,

As by my name im new here,
last saturday i bought my new modem router d7000 ac1900 vdls/adsl modem router.

I have gone through all of the installation process and followed all the steps in the booklet on how to connect gto the Internet.
But to no prevail.

I somehow followed a youtube video, which eventualy led me gto be able to get my username & password from my skys (sr102 wireless router or hub)  its wireless.

To get this info i had to get the sr102's MAC address and i used some program from gthe internet, which converted my sky wifi hub/ modem/ router to retrieve the username + password.

In the netgear genie i asked it to clone the netgear nighthawk d7000's mac address, to the sky's hub mac address.

And i ran and ran the test buton, and the netgear.com page showed no connection to the internet.

I tired manual configurations but to no prevail.

Im no techie, but i can manage some things technical.

The nighthawk d7000 modem/ router is working.

the d7000 modem/ router can connect to my devices or my devices to the d7000.

the d7000 will work wirelessly seperate to the sky modem/router.

so i can use the d7000 say just on its own and connect my wifi devices to it etc.

But theres no Internet access?

i can connect my d7000 to the sky sr102 modem/router  using an ethernet cable and then i can connect my devices onto the d7000 using the password for the d7000.

This allows me then to connect say through my android t8 smart tv  box and i can see all my network devices on that, and i get internet access too.

obviously i must be somehow bridging both routers.

which is nice! but i want my new d7000 to replace the sky's modem as the d7000 is better.

my question is this....

can someone please help me setup the internet on my brand new d7000.

when i access the internet normaly i go through sky's sr102 hub or modem or wireless router whatever its called.

i do not have to log on to sky.

i go to my laptop, fire it up, and say open a web page like yahoo news and ive connected to the internet.

obviously the task bar shows my network connection ie sky5XXXxx

and say im connected.

All i want to do is have the same setup >>>>>>> but with the new d7000 taking preference.

How do i do it please.

I dont want to take the d7000 back to  the shop.

thxs

im desperate to get this sorted.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

@DarrenM wrote:

Is sky a bonded DSL line? if so our modems do not support bonded connections.

DarrenM

I don't think any ISP in the UK uses bonded DSL. Most ISPs rely on BT's backbone for DSL – they have their own fibre networks – and BT isn't bonded.

But logging into Sky can take some fiddling. It seems to be one of those ISPs that resents anyone trying to use third party hardware.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
Imnewhere2017
Aspirant

Hi,

thxs for the reply, dont know what bonded is ie as in sky.  but i got the internet working now on my d7000.  

im going to go ethernet @ home, so i dunno whether to get cat 5e or cat 6 Utp cabling.  so all or most of the house devices are running via ethernet.   wifi will just be for mobile phones and or tablets.

GAMING/TV'S/PC'S/LAPTOPS/TVBOXES  All running into the routers ethernet ports.   

kind regards

Message 3 of 8

@DarrenM wrote:

DarrenM

I don't think any ISP in the UK uses bonded DSL. Most ISPs rely on BT's backbone for DSL – they have their own fibre networks – and BT isn't bonded.

But logging into Sky can take some fiddling. It seems to be one of those ISPs that resents anyone trying to use third party hardware.

Message 4 of 8
Imnewhere2017
Aspirant

Hi thanks for your reply,I'm not too clever with finding my way around this forum /community yet.

But i have a question !my bt line openreach box, is connected to my d7000,the dsl cable from openreach socket is about 1 metre long, supplied by netgear with my d7000 router/modem.

I dont like my router/modem/d7000 near my front window where the bt line open reach box is.therefore id like to use a rj11 cable running from the open reach /bt box, going upinto the loft/ to one of the bedrooms.  where all my networking gear will be going.

so it will be BTopen reach box (LIVING ROOM) socket/15 metres (or) 20 metres of adsl cable/(UPWALL IN LOFT DOWN TO)/Spare bedroom/Router d7000/then everything else will be plugged into the d7000 nighthawk.

will 20 metres of adsl modem cable lose me bandwidth ?

will i lose signal strength ?

will it cause me to download at slower speeds ?

Finaly what dsl modem cable would you recommend + lengths

Im on sky fibre...thats exhange/fftc(in street cabinet) / to my home/ to my bt openreach socket/

ps as im confused with cables types  ie adsl / adsl + / dsl modem cables
what am i looking for as i want good connection.

Thanks & kind regards.

Message 5 of 8

What you are talking about is putting a telephone extension in the loft, or wherever you want to put the modem. (I'm afraid I cannot understand the layout that you describe, with its talk of lofts, living rooms and bedrooms.) Think of it as an extension and look for possible ways of doing it.

If you use the BT box for a phone, simply running a long phone extension cable to the loft is not the best way to handle it. You will end up with all sorts of plugs and sockets that could create interference.

Generally the best approach is to have the router modem plugged into the first box that BT provides. Everything after that is down to you. Make it as simple as possible.

If you do take this approach, then you have to remember to put an ADSL filter on every phone socket.

I have an extension that runs from the BT box up to a bedroom where there is the mains it takes to feed the modem/router. It works fine. This fills the house with the wifi from the router. I use Powerline plugs to get Internet connections to smart TVs and radios.

Message 6 of 8
Imnewhere2017
Aspirant

Hi,

thxs for your quick reply.  i may have not interpreted correctly what my needs are.

BT  box goes to the d7000 Moden router.  i want to put the d7000 in another room in my house.  as the bt box is in the living room, and the d7000 is plugged into it underneath my dining table.

its a bit crowded and unsightly underneath there.  so originaly i was going to plug an extension phone cable from the bt box say 10 metres long into another room, and plug in the router.

then i'd plug in my devices into the d7000 via ethernet cables.

if thats a problem with bt's box having to be a few feet next to my d7000.  then i'd have to run ethernet through the walls into the d7000 which is plugged into the bt box in living room.  so the router would still be unsightly

cheers for reading

Message 7 of 8

@Imnewhere2017 wrote:
so originaly i was going to plug an extension phone cable from the bt box say 10 metres long into another room, and plug in the router.

10 metres isn't that long. You lose nothing by trying it. If you have problems, then just rethink it.

I still think that you should look for a 10 metre telephone extension kit rather than just a long cable. The result is the same, but you have the convenience of a proper wired socket near the modem rather than a long dangly lead that could get yanked out of the first box. (An extension takes the lead out of the back of the BT socket.) I even managed to install a new BT style mastersocket with a built in DSL filter. You can even move the phone there.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7