Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

slow usb disk

Jim-L
Aspirant

slow usb disk

AC1900 vdsl router with latest 1.0.0.24 firmware)

With a gigabit wired network between an ultrabook and the ac1900 vdsl router I get very poor usb disk access over the network. Write speeds are ~2Mbps and read speeds ~1Mbps and frequently lower. This would barely provide one stream of HD audio. The router and network are otherwise inactive while testing disk speed. With an embedded linux box and same usb drives over the same wired network I consistantly get ~10Mbps read and write.

I get the same transfer speeds with a WD passport usb3 drive, an older WD passport usb2 drive, and a usb3 flash drive.  It would appear the router processor deeply constrains performance, and the usb3 interfaces are clearly not meeting expectations.    VDSL performance is ~30Mbps down, 2Mbps up.

Any ideas, solutions ???

Thx

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Jim-L
Aspirant

Re: slow usb disk

Thx, I upgraded the sware and all good.

testing disk transfers wirelessly quickly there was an improvement but not going back to ethernet! After much debug I believe I have a dodgy ethernet cable, maybe not twisted or balanced ?  It works ~ 5MB level but no higher. So, I appreciate support and mark the issue closed.

For interest I got the following results with a 1m ether cable, and 1m wireless distance:

Transfer of 1.4Gb file from \\readyshare to ultrabook ..

usb3 WD drive  ethernet 58MB/sec

usb3 WD drive  5G wifi 20MB/sec

usb3 WD drive  2.4G wifi 10MB/sec

usb2 WD drive  ethernet 34MB/sec

I think these speeds are pretty reasonable (and in excess of an older PC or embedded linux box (odroid)). This is a router not a nas drive !

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Jim-L
Aspirant

By the way, I am testing transfering single Gb video files onto windows-formatted ntfs drives

Message 2 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jim-L

there is a newer version of firmware out for the device see if that helps at all.

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000.aspx#Firmware Version 1.0.0.32

DarrenM

Message 3 of 4
Jim-L
Aspirant

Thx, I upgraded the sware and all good.

testing disk transfers wirelessly quickly there was an improvement but not going back to ethernet! After much debug I believe I have a dodgy ethernet cable, maybe not twisted or balanced ?  It works ~ 5MB level but no higher. So, I appreciate support and mark the issue closed.

For interest I got the following results with a 1m ether cable, and 1m wireless distance:

Transfer of 1.4Gb file from \\readyshare to ultrabook ..

usb3 WD drive  ethernet 58MB/sec

usb3 WD drive  5G wifi 20MB/sec

usb3 WD drive  2.4G wifi 10MB/sec

usb2 WD drive  ethernet 34MB/sec

I think these speeds are pretty reasonable (and in excess of an older PC or embedded linux box (odroid)). This is a router not a nas drive !

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7