Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DM200 not connecting in ADSL2+ Annex.M mode

DM200 not connecting in ADSL2+ Annex.M mode

I'm unable to get my DM200 to connect in Annex M mode.

The specifications in the user manual clearly state:

• G.992.5 (ADSL2+) compliant, supporting Annex A and M

However, I'm unable to connect in Annex M, and it falls back to Annex A. Meanwhile, if I connect my Fritzbox 7490, it happly connects in Annex M mode with the upload boost that comes with it.

I'm using the latest published firmware (1.0.0.36), and cannot see any configurable options in the modem to get it to connect in Annex M mode.

I do want to switch it to bridged mode, as I do plan on running a seperate gateway, but it's not even working in Annex M in the default modem/router mode. 😞

Anyone else had this problem? Are there known workarounds, or older firmware that may be functional.

(BTW, I'm in Australia in an iiNet DSLAM, naked).

Some stats:

• Fritzbox - Annex A: ~20.5 Mbps; 1Mbps up
  • Fritzbox - Annex M: ~18.7 Mbps; 1.7Mbps up
  • DM200 - Annex A: ~20.8 Mbps; 1.08Mbps up

Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello grandvagueness

Is there a specific reason why you need the modem to run in annex M? Have you checked with your ISP for VPI/VCI settings?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8

Annex M has a faster upload speed, which is the specific reason I wish to use it.

The VPI/VCI settings are correct. These settings are the same for annex.a/annex.m for my ISP. As I can connect via annex.m on another modem, and that's without changing any settings on the modem - I just enabled it on my ISP's side.

Message 3 of 8
MarcR
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Is there an answer on how to enable Annex M on the Netgear DM200 modem.

It used to work fine on my Fritz.box 7390 with upload speed at 1.5 to 1.7 Mbps.

I'm now using the Netgear DM200 with the Unifi EdgeRouter PoE5 and I see 1.08Mbps upload i.e. Annex A I suspect.

Message 4 of 8

I eventually got an answer from support just a few of weeks ago. (It took a while, in part due to some delays responding on my part due some personal circumstances).

From my case:

I got an update from our next level of support and they confirmed the DM200 does not support the Annex M mode. They will update the manual since there is an error in the manual.

Yeh, it doesn't support Annex M (or they were just sick of me). #fail

Contact support, get an RMA and get your money back.

Message 5 of 8
MarcR
Aspirant

Ah, disappointing, I just bought this modem less than a week ago.

Any idea on what to replace it with?

Message 6 of 8

No, I've not had a chance to look for something else as of yet. 😕

I do want a similar setup (I've a Unifi security gateway waiting to be used).

Whirlpool has a list of annex m modems, maybe that's a place to start.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/annex_m

I do get much better sync on my Friztbox 7490 (about 1.7Mbps) vs the iiNet budii lite (about 1.3Mbps). I originally switched off the budii anyway due to the flakiness. The 7490 has a great modem, but the wifi in it is terrible (at least for my conditions). So I switched to a couple of unfi access points (which are great, no issues). And I stopped using VOIP, so 7490 is not much more than a modem + nat + firewall. Would be happy to use it in bridge mode, but it doesn't have one. 😞

I'd love something that could get more upload sync, but not sure what would.

Message 7 of 8
stux
Aspirant

So,

Here I am researching the DM200 to replace a DrayTek Vigor 2820Vn which seems to have died.

It was at the top of my shortlist.

So, Annex M doesn't work. I love how the solution to a defective firmware is to update the manual.

I use Annex M with an iiNet/Internode/TPG DSLAM because I get 20 mbit down and 2.5mbit up...

Guess its off my shortlist.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7