× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Open portal for cellular range extender

scoberch
Aspirant

Open portal for cellular range extender

Hello,

I have a Samsung 3g cellular network extender from Verizon that I need in my home since my cell reception is terrible. It’s worked in the past on a previous Netgear product, however I recently upgraded to the r6400 Nighthawk and I can’t get the extender to get a signal. The cellular extender is hard lined from the WiFi router’s Port 1 out.

I followed the instructions online from Verizon and even spoke to Netgear to help me walk through it all. Still not working.

I’ve included the instructions below and I’m curious if anyone has gone through this before and could help me out? I’ve selected to turn VPN on. I put all the correct codes in the Port Forwarding section of the advanced settings and I’m using the correct IP address assigned to the device. Not sure what I’m missing.

Thanks - Scott

Verizon Instructions:
Here's how to configure your router:
Make sure your IPSec (VPN) passthrough is enabled or supported. Visit Netgear's Knowledge Base page on VPN documentation to learn more.

Verify your Quality of Service (QoS) is enabled or supported. Visit Netgear's Knowledge Base page on QoS to learn how to enable it.

Make sure the following ports are enabled:
123 UDP
4500 UDP
500 UDP
53 TCP / UDP
52428 TCP / UDP
Visit Netgear's Knowledge Base page on port forwarding to learn more.

Note: You may need to know the IP Address assigned to the Network Extender by your router in order to forward ports. This can be found by going into your router's DHCP settings and finding the IP Address that is assigned to the Network Extender's MAC ID# / Address. The Network Extender's MAC ID is found on a sticker under the unit. For a 4G Network Extender, the IP Address can also be found by pressing the display button until it is displayed on the screen.
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Open portal for cellular range extender

Hi @scoberch,

Yes, it is not recommended to leave a device on DMZ. It is just one way for us to isolate the issue. What this means is that there may be one or more ports that needs to be forwarded/configured for the cellular range extender. We suggest contacting your ISP and/or the manufacturer.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @scoberch,

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. We recommend doing address reservation for the Samsung Network Extender. Check the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24091

3. Once you have completed the address reservation, please check if the ports are configured to the correct IP address.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 8
scoberch
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.  The firmware is: V1.0.2.34_1.0.22

I'll give this direction a shot.

Message 3 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @scoberch,

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 8
scoberch
Aspirant

Hello,

This didn't work.  Looking at the setting Verizon has listed, is there anything else you'd recommend:https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/network-extender-router-configuration/#netgear

Thanks,

Scott

Message 5 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @scoberch,

Thank you for the update. As an isolation step, please try configuring DMZ for the cellular range extender to check if it works. The steps are provided on the link below.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1118

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 8
scoberch
Aspirant

Dexter,

That looks like it worked!  Is there any security risk that I should be aware of based on the warning in the link you sent?

Thank you,

Scott

Message 7 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @scoberch,

Yes, it is not recommended to leave a device on DMZ. It is just one way for us to isolate the issue. What this means is that there may be one or more ports that needs to be forwarded/configured for the cellular range extender. We suggest contacting your ISP and/or the manufacturer.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7