× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6200v2 Wireless Extender Needed

Maitai11
Initiate

R6200v2 Wireless Extender Needed

Hi,

I just bought a big house, and I really like the R6200v2 that I have...but I need to be able to install several (I believe) extenders.  Can anyone recommend the best equipment for my WIFI setup?  Thanks in advance. 

Maitai

Model: R6200v2|AC1200 Dual Band Gigabit Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R6200v2 Wireless Extender Needed

How big of house? 

Reason I say that is if you're needing more than 1 extender, its better to ugrade to a mesh system like orbi instead of trying to add a bunch of extenders.

standard extenders (not triband), cut throughput in half. they do this because they have to receive and then retransmit and they can't do both at once. So their speed is already going to be 50% of what they're able to do in a set location. Plus they increase latency.

I'd recommend looking at the triband orbi setup if you're in a large home. They've been renewed on amazon a lot lately and been pretty reasonable in price. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

How big of house? 

Reason I say that is if you're needing more than 1 extender, its better to ugrade to a mesh system like orbi instead of trying to add a bunch of extenders.

standard extenders (not triband), cut throughput in half. they do this because they have to receive and then retransmit and they can't do both at once. So their speed is already going to be 50% of what they're able to do in a set location. Plus they increase latency.

I'd recommend looking at the triband orbi setup if you're in a large home. They've been renewed on amazon a lot lately and been pretty reasonable in price. 

Message 2 of 4
Maitai11
Initiate

Hi @plemans,

Wow!  Thank you very much for that well-thought-out assessment and response!  

And you ask a very good question.  The home I'm in now, which I am in the process of purchasing is 4,600 sq. ft.  That's why I need the extender.  I found this on Amazon:

NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 3Gbps Speed (RBK50) – Router & Extender Replacement Covers Up to 5,000 sq. ft., 2-Pack Includes 1 Router & 1 Satellite White

Is this the one you're talking about, or do they have just the extenders, since I already have the router?  I agree with your assessment regarding installing a bunch of extenders versus tri-band - range (and, thanks to you, throughput and latency) are all important factors that really appeal to me.  I am already noticing a slowdown just two rooms away from the router.  

I have a cellar, first floor, second floor, and a two story garage right next to the house.  Hopefully that will help you with a model recommendation if you're able to.  

Again, thanks for your help; I look forward to hearing from you again.  

Regards,

Maitai

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

4600sqft is pretty big. I have a 3200 sqft home and I run an orbi plus 2 satellites. mines a bit overkill but it provides more than I can use and thats how I prefer it 🙂

The "up to" size is pretty much optimal placement and everything working well. 

I'd probably look to a system with at least the 2 satellites and 1 router if you're looking at orbi and that big of a home. 

The RBK53, RBK43 system would work fine. Or getting a regular system and adding a satellite or 2. 

The benefit to orbi is you can add satellites as needed for more coverage. I would definitely go that route versus trying to add an extender to the R6200.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7