× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400 router slow after firmware update V1.0.1.32_1.0.23

sxrxrr
Aspirant

R6400 router slow after firmware update V1.0.1.32_1.0.23

WiFi web download speed test dropped from near 100 Mbps download to around 20 Mbps after firmware upgrade.  I tested by plugging directly into modem and get around 200 Mbps; same when cabled directly into the router.  I see this speed reduction across several computers and phones, so I am sure it is the router and WiFi specifically.  I rebooted several times, unplugged and replugged, check that WMM and QoS remain disabled, no blocking is enabled.  My Macbook Pro connects over 5G on channel 157.

Please advise on what to do next.  Otherwise I'm moving to away from NetGear...

Model: R6400v2|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router—802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

Message 2 of 9
sxrxrr
Aspirant

The factory reset fixed it.  Went from 20 down to over 200 down.

Now I know to do the factory reset anytime I upgrade the firmware.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 9

That's good news.

A reset isn't always needed, but it is daft not to try it if you have the sort of problem that hit you.

Netgear could help by including that in the release notes, but some people seem to have an almost religious aversion to the idea.

Message 4 of 9
whitedp
Tutor

Hello and thanks for this "fix". I have my settings data for the previous version backed up to a file on my wifi-connected computer. I sure do NOT want to re-enter everything. Will I be able to restore the settings from the file on my computer after I factory reset (which, by definition will wipe out my settings)?

Message 5 of 9

wrote:

Will I be able to restore the settings from the file on my computer after I factory reset (which, by definition will wipe out my settings)?

You can try it, but it may reintroduce any problems that you see.

If that does happen, and the thing works fine before you restore the settings, then at least you will know that there is a fix that you can either use or ignore and live with whatever problems brought you here.

Message 6 of 9
whitedp
Tutor

Thanks for the response. I have to say that I find it incredible that a vendor would make changes that require a complete reconfiguration of a device as central as a router. And I find it unbelievable that they would do so and NOT tell users that this is required. Instead, I had to find out on my own that the poor wifi-to-internet performance (ethernet-to-internet did not seem to be affected and wifi-to-ethernet also did not seem to be affected) was due to the application of a recommended update to the router. While I like my router, I am rapidly becoming disenchanted with Netgear's "support". I have re-flashed the previous firmware and these issues have disappeared. Once again we can see that newer is not always better and I will have to think more about even applying the new update. The cure may be worse than the disease. Of course, with such scant description of the disease or the cure in the release notes, it is very hard to judge. Again, not great Netgear!

Message 7 of 9

Out of interest, does that mean that you did not test to see if a reset would fix the problem?

wrote:

Thanks for the response. I have to say that I find it incredible that a vendor would make changes that require a complete reconfiguration of a device as central as a router.

I did a quick snoop around other router makers and they seem to have the same "disease". It may be down to the fact that most router makers buy their communications chips from a small bunch of makers, mostly Broadcom and Intel.

It isn't the need to reset that bugs me so much as the failure to come up with a scheme that lets you export the settings in a way that allows us to selectively restore particular settings. But I am not a software engineer.

Of course, with such scant description of the disease or the cure in the release notes, it is very hard to judge.

Indeed. Those release notes are a disgrace. What does "Security fixes" mean?

At least you don't have one of the devices that Google broke recently, like the R7000. In that case you would have been forced to "upgrade" to stay in business.

Message 8 of 9
whitedp
Tutor

Thanks. Beyond getting myself stable again via flashing the older firmware, I have done nothing. I will when I have the time for all to be down around here. Cheers

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7