× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to connect to the Router setup after changing IP & factory reset (WNDR3700v2)

TheBratwurst
Aspirant

Unable to connect to the Router setup after changing IP & factory reset (WNDR3700v2)

Hi Everybody,

I got a new internet provider today, so i had to change the settings of my Router.

Therefore i changed the Router IP to 192.168.0.2 (following a tutorial online), but after that i had no access to the setup anymore.

So now, i reseted the Router to factory settings, but still i can't access to the Router, i tried 192.168.1.1 and i tried also searching for the gateway in cmd using config (no result).

In the network settings detect the WNDR3700v2, but clicking on "properties" shows no IP, it's "not available".

Can somebody tell me how i can start communicating to my router again?

Thank you and regards, Oliver

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to connect to the Router setup after changing IP & factory reset (WNDR3700v2)

OK, well the rough process is as follows; 1. Log into the base router and find its DHCP server settings, set the DHCP range to end at some convenient address e.g. a range of 192.168.100.2 to 192.168.100.199 2. Connect to and log into the WNDR3700 3. Set all WiFi and other settings as desired, but don’t bother with any router related functions e.g. Port Forwarding 4. When you are happy with the settings go to the LAN Settings page 5. Set the router IP address to a convenient address on the same subnet as the base router e.g. 192.168.100.200, do not apply the setting yet. 6. On the same page disable the DHCP server and apply the setting, the configuring computer will now lose its connection to the ‘3700 7. Connect a LAN port of the ‘3700 to a LAN port of the base router, power cycle the ‘3700 8. Computers that now connect to the ‘3700 by wire or WiFi will now be allocated IP addresses by the base router 9. The ‘3700 can be accessed at http://192.168.100.200 10. If all goes well, log into the ‘3700 and in the Maintenance area save the current configuration to a file on the computer, just in case. Sorry if the formatting of this reply is one big block of text, it's a browser issue with the computer I'm using.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to connect to the Router setup after changing IP & factory reset (WNDR3700v2)

Can you post a link to the online tutorial please? At the same time as changing the router LAN IP did you also disable the DHCP server? If so then until the router is also connected to another device that is operating as a DHCP server e.g. a modem/router combo, then any connected computer will not be allocated an IP address on the LAN and will not be able to communicate with the router.
Message 2 of 11
TheBratwurst
Aspirant

Hey, thank you so much for your rapid answer!

The tutorial is in German, but it is also wrong, because the DHCP-aspect was not mentioned.

I was able to reset the Router now (i didn't press the button long enough, didn't know it's 7 seconds  Smiley LOL )

I also disconnected it from the Router of my new provider.

Now I'm in the setup again (IP is 192.168.1.1)

The Router of my Provider has the IP 192.186.100.1.

Now I want to set the IP of the Netgear Router to 192.186.100.10 (I already conected some Wifi devices to the Providers Router, so I'm not sure if 192.186.100.2 is free) and also turn that DHCP thing of. Is there anything else to do to be able to access to the internet again?

Message 3 of 11
TheBratwurst
Aspirant

Okay i just disabled the DHCP server and set the Routers IP to 168.192.100.2.

Now, again, i can not interact with the Router and can't connect to the internet...

Any ideas someone? 😞

Message 4 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I’m not completely sure what your intended setup is? The description you have given so far suggest that you are trying to set up the ‘3700 as an Access Point connected to an ISP supplied router, is that the case?

The 192.168.100.1 IP address is commonly used by DOCSIS cable modems, these can also be routers but are not always, what is the model number of your modem?

If your modem is not also a router then the ‘3700 should be set up in router mode. You can if you wish still change the LAN subnet of the ‘3700 to 192.168.100.x, but only if the modem it is connected to does not use that range (and it seems that it does), otherwise the ‘3700 is likely to automatically change its subnet to 10.0.0.x and this may have been your original issue that stopped the PC communicating.

Please answer the above first and then we can look at the best solution / setup.

Message 5 of 11
TheBratwurst
Aspirant

Yes, thats is the case. The provider sent me a CBN-CH6640E modem, which is also a wifi-router. I want to set the '3700 as an Access Point to connect my devices in the upper floor via LAN and Wifi.

Message 6 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OK, well the rough process is as follows; 1. Log into the base router and find its DHCP server settings, set the DHCP range to end at some convenient address e.g. a range of 192.168.100.2 to 192.168.100.199 2. Connect to and log into the WNDR3700 3. Set all WiFi and other settings as desired, but don’t bother with any router related functions e.g. Port Forwarding 4. When you are happy with the settings go to the LAN Settings page 5. Set the router IP address to a convenient address on the same subnet as the base router e.g. 192.168.100.200, do not apply the setting yet. 6. On the same page disable the DHCP server and apply the setting, the configuring computer will now lose its connection to the ‘3700 7. Connect a LAN port of the ‘3700 to a LAN port of the base router, power cycle the ‘3700 8. Computers that now connect to the ‘3700 by wire or WiFi will now be allocated IP addresses by the base router 9. The ‘3700 can be accessed at http://192.168.100.200 10. If all goes well, log into the ‘3700 and in the Maintenance area save the current configuration to a file on the computer, just in case. Sorry if the formatting of this reply is one big block of text, it's a browser issue with the computer I'm using.
Message 7 of 11
TheBratwurst
Aspirant

OK, but I have a question about point 1:

I can't log into the base router. When i type in 192.168.100.1, i'm redirected to a page with some information, but i can't change the settings, i think it's blocked by the Internet provider. Also, there's no information about the DHCP server settings, but cause my wifi devices i connected i know some IP's were are possible before (e.g. 192.168.0.30 and 192.168.0.96) do you think thats enough to "guess" that the DHCP range is 192.168.0.XX ?

And another question about point 7:

You mean i must connect a LAN from the '3700 to a LAN from the base router? That could be the reason i failed the last time doing it, because i connected the "Internet"-port to a LAN port of the base router!!!

Message 8 of 11
TheBratwurst
Aspirant

Edit:

I am able to login, i just didn't find the option before...

Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL

Av4UOkn8JdrhEmt1NYYXQkQ7iUq4Mu3HIHOwsvmMiE29.jpg

Is that the the right information?

Message 9 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello,

It’s not exactly mandatory to reduce the DHCP range of the router, the purpose is simply to avoid the risk of the router allocating the same IP address that the ‘3700 is using to another device. Cable modems often have a reduced DHCP range anyway, e.g. 30 devices. So if you set an IP address for the ‘3700 high in the range you might be OK.

I notice in post 8 that you gave example IP addresses in the 192.168.0.x subnet, not the 192.168.100.x subnet. Are you absolutely sure about the subnet that the modem uses to allocate IP addresses? The best way to check is with a single computer connected to the modem, then power cycle the modem, check the IP address allocated to the computer.

It is in fact possible to set other Private IP subnets to the ‘3700 is AP mode e.g. you could set its IP to 10.0.0.1, however this would make it inaccessible using a computer that has been allocated an IP from the modem subnet. In that case all you would need to do is to temporarily set a static IP for the computer e.g. 10.0.0.2 and you could then access the ‘3700 admin pages, then afterwards set the computer back to dynamic.

So, you really have quite a few options when setting the IP of the ‘3700.

Some routers have a dedicated AP mode in their firmware options, certainly newer models like the R7000, and I believe maybe even the WNDR3700v4, this allows the use of the WAN (Internet) port to link back to the gateway router. Otherwise without a dedicated AP mode, one of the LAN ports has to be used.

Hope that helps.

Message 10 of 11
TheBratwurst
Aspirant

Hello,

thank you very much for your helpful advice. I followed your instructions and everything works fine. The mistake i did was to connect the routers LAN-to-WAN the first time and using a wrong IP (192.168.0.XX was right), but following your instructions and connect it LAN-to-LAN, everthing is working well!

Thanks!!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7