× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNR2000v5 WiFi - Intermittent Connectivity/Broadcast, Hardware Failure

FrankFranklin
Aspirant

WNR2000v5 WiFi - Intermittent Connectivity/Broadcast, Hardware Failure

NETGEAR N300 WNR2000v5 WiFi router does not work. Issues are no connectivity, intermittent connectivity, SSID intermittently broadcast. Direct connect my computer devices to modem and all of them work. Direct connect through router works. The WiFi does not work - at best intermittent.

Troubleshooting completed includes: verified TWC cable connection reset with new IP address and working.  Reset and reconfigured router. Reset to manufacturer specs\reconfigured. Re-flashed firmware V1.0.0.34 and reconfigured. Reboot modem. Reboot router. Reboot all computers.

Apparently Netgear will not provide RMA unless I pay for premium phone support. Indication is that this is a known issue which they can fix, but you must pay first. There is no plan to patch, update firmware, or provide technical documentation. Case 27020502, 27020958. New case 27027866.

My device is warranty to January 7, 2016.

Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FrankFranklin
Aspirant

I do want to report that I did receive replacement for defective device. It seems to work just fine.

Request: Netgear re-think the RMA process as it is deceiving to have your customers start online RMA process just to be informed to call for RMA and then try to sell them support.

Recommendation: RMA process should be completely separated from support; one should be able to actually complete the RMA process  online (not an online process that has you call support techs).

"Jumping through hoops", having to file a complaint with BBB, having to post my dissatisfaction of this RMA process to the online community, and all the extra research I had to do was not what I call a pleasant customer experience.

However, bottomline, I am happy that device was eventually replaced. I thank the BBB, this online community forum, and especially the involvement and support provided from ElainM.

Frank Franklin

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @FrankFranklin

Welcome to the community!

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

How many wireless devices are affected?

Did you try to change the channel?

See this link if it will help.

Message 2 of 7
FrankFranklin
Aspirant

I usually have 2 -3 devices - phone, laptop, desktop.  Yes, I did try different channels 6 and 11. I released devices, release\renew IP's, DNSflush, change sec from 20 to 5, than to 30... I have tried anything I think of or have found in research. 

The device started intermittent issues and now does not broadcast or intermittently broadcasts.

It is 7 months since I purchased and installed router. This is definitely hardware issue from what I can tell, but as previously indicated support will not give me RMA unless I pay for phone support - this is an issue which I like to escalate.

-Thanks for advice, FrankFranklin

Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@FrankFranklin I will go ahead and request to have someone contact you regarding your concern.

They'll be in contact with you separately.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 7
FrankFranklin
Aspirant

UPDATE: I was contacted by a professional on Tuesday 21st (not certain if you facilitated this contact or if he called because I had open case). However, I thank you either way.

The professional was able to identify that my WiFi router was defective within minutes using logical Q&A (versus Technical Support who kept trying to sell me phone support for defective item and would not issue RMA). The RMA process was initiated in an email which I received shortly after speaking with him. The defective device was shipped USPS to NetGear Memphis, TN; package delivered Friday 24th at 10:10am. RMA 1696582.

Now waiting for replacement device to be shipped and received.

Franklin

Message 5 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update, Frank.

Feel free to let us know once you received the replacement unit.

Message 6 of 7
FrankFranklin
Aspirant

I do want to report that I did receive replacement for defective device. It seems to work just fine.

Request: Netgear re-think the RMA process as it is deceiving to have your customers start online RMA process just to be informed to call for RMA and then try to sell them support.

Recommendation: RMA process should be completely separated from support; one should be able to actually complete the RMA process  online (not an online process that has you call support techs).

"Jumping through hoops", having to file a complaint with BBB, having to post my dissatisfaction of this RMA process to the online community, and all the extra research I had to do was not what I call a pleasant customer experience.

However, bottomline, I am happy that device was eventually replaced. I thank the BBB, this online community forum, and especially the involvement and support provided from ElainM.

Frank Franklin

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7