Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAN down when VPN start

PietroB66
Aspirant

WAN down when VPN start

Hi,

i have problem with my firewall ( FVS318G v2 )

When a vpn connection is established, the internet connection via the wan no longer works and all connected PCs stop accessing the internet. If I unplug the wan cable and connect it to a PC the internet connection is present. To make it work I have to switch off and on again.
This is whether I log in with the netgear client software or with another firewall (FVS388).
I changed the setting and it escaped me because I was able to log in first.
What can I have touched to have this inconvenience?

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WAN down when VPN start

Hi @PietroB66,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What NETGEAR VPN Client software are you using?  Is it the NETGEAR VPN Client Professional software or the NETGEAR VPN Client Lite software?

b. What is the current version of the NETGEAR VPN Client software you are using? 
c. What is the Operating System of the PC where the NETGEAR VPN Client software is installed?

d. What is the LAN IP address range of the PC where the NETGEAR VPN Client software is installed?

e. What is the current firmware version of both FVS318Gv2 and FVS338? 

f. What is the IP address range on the LAN side of the FVS318Gv2 and FVS338? 

For the Client-to-Box VPN, I suggest you to delete the existing VPN policies then recreate it using the VPN Wizard.  As reference guide, access the article below:

ProSAFE VPN Client: Client to Box Configuration

For the Box-to-Box VPN, I suggest you to delete the existing VPN/IKE policies then recreate it using the VPN Wizard.  As reference guide, access the article below:

Configuring a Box to Box VPN on ProSAFE/ProSECURE routers using the VPN Wizard

Notes:

• The IP address range of the LAN side of the FVS318Gv2 should be different from the LAN IP address of the PC where the VPN Client software is installed.  For example: if the IP address range of the LAN side of the FVS318Gv2 is 192.168.1.x (x is any number from 1 to 254), then the LAN IP address of the PC where the VPN Client software is installed should be 10.10.10.x (x is any number from 1 to 254).
  • The IP address range of the LAN side of the FVS318Gv2 should be different from the IP address range of the LAN side of the FVS338.  For example: if the IP address range of the LAN side of the FVS318Gv2 is 192.168.1.x (x is any number from 1 to 254), then the LAN IP address of the FVS338 should be 172.16.1.x (x is any number from 1 to 254).
  • Make sure that the Public WAN IP address is registered to the WAN port of the FVS318Gv2 and FVS338.   
  • If ever the modem connected to the WAN ports of the FVS318Gv2 & FVS338 is a modem-router combination, I recommend you to configure the modem to full-bridge mode.  In this way, the Public WAN IP address is registered to the WAN port of the FVS318Gv2 and FVS338.   

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
PietroB66
Aspirant

Thank you for reply.

- The FVS318Gv2 firmware is 4.3.4-2

- The Netgear client is the last version downloader from netgear website ( try 20 days version)

( i have also a cdrom and license key bundled with firewall but i would to try before install and active license key)

- LAN ip address on FVS318 is 192.168.16.xx

- LAN pc client is 192.168.1.xx

- The FVS318 is connected on WAN with VDSL fiber router ( Telecom Italy)

- Public WAN IP is an Dynamic IP  ( i have a DDNS host configured )

- When VPN is estabilished , the Firewall chrashed ( is not possible to connect it also on local lan. is necessary to switch off and on to make it work again).

- PC lient have windows 10 64bit

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PietroB66,

Have you tried to my suggestion from my last response to you to delete the existing VPN/IKE policies then recreate it using the VPN Wizard?  Also, did you access and read the articles I shared and used it as your guide? 

In addition, I suggest you to update the firmware of the FVS318Gv2 to the latest version which is v4.3.5-3.  You can download it here.  Be sure to factory reset the FVS318Gv2 after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure the settings from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.  Then, try to set up client-to-box as well as box-to-box VPN using the VPN Wizard.  Refer to the articles I posted. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements