× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AMA - Ask Us Anything About ReadyNAS and You Could Win a ReadyNAS 214!

aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@LARRI2008714 wrote:

Can I hookup my  wireless printer to this device?

You need to hook your printer to your router to get it on your network. Can you expand on what you are trying to achieve?

Can I sync pictures taken on my phone to automatically store a copy?

This may require an app on your phone to store to the ReadyNAS. If you can make the phone function as USB storage, then you can connect it to the RN and sync with the press of a button.

Is this limited to specific operating systems?

If you mean Windows/OSX/Linux they are all supported with various network file protocols (Samba, AFP). Do you have a specific OS requirement?

Message 76 of 218
daspiel
Initiate

Why NetGear over any other brand?
Message 77 of 218
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@daspiel wrote:
Why NetGear over any other brand?

ReadyNAS is generally very reliable and stable and as a central file storage it is excellent. Afterall, your data is what you value most! I'm not saying there are no issues, but I observe excellent stability for this basic function. I find the backup modes also very good, if a little confusing to start with. When expanding capacity, popping in an additional disk and have ReadyNAS x-raid expand automatically was seamless the times I have done it. The fan on the Duo v1 was noisy (so I changed mine), the NV+ v2 is not as bad but not silent. There is no way to turn the fan off for example when the disk are sleeping and the temperature is sufficiently low, which would make the unit totally silent when not in use. The newer RN200 series have larger fans that are quieter I believe, so less of an issue now.

When I have looked elsewhere, let's say QNAP (I have one) and Synology (I don't have one), the community forum here is by far superior in my opinion. Always helpful and I don't recall a time where the pros were sarcastic or flat out abusive (which I have observed on some forums).

Having said that, I do feel the ReadyNAS lacks advanced features compared to the others, especially Netgear provides little (useful) add-ons. There was a time when Netgear wanted to go for fee based add-ons (even for community contributors who did not want to charge), that was a real joke and fairly offensive to consumer level users. The community add-ons are limited, so I suggest you take a look for yourself in the appropriate sections to check if there are any features missing.

From personal experience, the ReadyNas NV+ v2 ReadyDLNA had tagging problem in early versions, I raised the issue here and one of the developers created a patch to resolve it. That was rolled in to the next release. I haven't experienced any other issues, and I've had 4 NAS units over the last 10 or so years. I am a bit disappointed that Netgear end-of-lifed the NV+ just a few months after I purchased it, and in fact it was only on the market a short while. I do understand the reasons and I accept that sometimes you just have to move on. The NV+ has still served me well for about 4 years (purchased Jan'2013) and is still my main NAS, so I can't really complain.

Personally I would highly recommend the ReadyNAS and my own next purchase will likely be a RN214, which I think offers best value for money, performance and features that I need. I've got in to the ReadyNAS ways of doing things and don't want to change, but I'm sure other NAS units are also pretty good. It will mostly come down to preferences on the interface and whether the unit has the features you need.

Message 78 of 218
shebeast
Aspirant

What is the warranty on this device, and is it commercial grade?

Message 79 of 218
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@shebeast wrote:

What is the warranty on this device

Warranty is covered in message #73 - it is 3 years for the chassis, but may be region dependent. Check you local Netgear site.

and is it commercial grade?

What are you looking for specifically? The RN214 is classified as a home/small business class device, could you provide details about the number of users, storage capacity you need, or any other requirement you are looking for in "commercial grade".

Message 80 of 218
katart
Aspirant

What Apps are available for use with the ReadyNAS 214?

Message 81 of 218
bigdaddy84
Aspirant

I bought this router from Costco a year ago are routers much faster now? Should I upgrade? X6 is the model

Thank you. 

Message 82 of 218
stephenradford2
Aspirant

Can I upgrade drives over time as Capasaty grows?

Message 83 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@stephenradford2 wrote:

Yes, of course.  But always, always do a full backup before you upgrade your drive.  And upgrade your drives ONE AT A TIME.  Remember, the system is designed to tolerate one error at any one time (unless you are using RAID 50, 60 in the 6-bay and above systems).  

Consult with KB articles published by NETGEAR for more info.  Upgrading drives is a very common practice.  Only requirement is to handle with care...

Message 84 of 218
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@stephenradford2 wrote:

Yes you can (as was mentioned above), and I have done this successfully several times myself.

Do a backup, then hot swap (take out an old drive, then insert a new larger capacity one), wait a while whilst the x-raid volume rebuilds and expands. Only swap one disk at a time and it should expand ok without any loss of data. Just in case of disaster during the process, make sure your backup is good!

Message 85 of 218
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@bigdaddy84 wrote:

I bought this router from Costco a year ago are routers much faster now? Should I upgrade? X6 is the model

Thank you. 

This thread is about the ReadyNAS products, per message #1:

How to ask a question and enter:

• In the discussion thread below post a question for our ReadyNAS team about ReadyNAS products.
Message 86 of 218
kmotala
Aspirant

Hello!!! Any custom firmware for this ready nas ??? Or do you plan add bitorrent client to this ??

Message 87 of 218
beatlesfreak200
Aspirant

Hello!

I'd know to know specifics around the following.

1. 4k streaming capable?
  2. Expandable memory? if so, what are the limits?
  3. RAID levels available?
  4. Any M.2/NVME slots available for caching?
Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 88 of 218
coffee_lover
Aspirant

Old infrant readynas nv+ user here looking at the changes. How big of a hdd can it theoretically support ie. 12/14/16/20 TB? Does the DLNA server support subtitles?

Message 89 of 218
yukkevchuhau
Aspirant

How does this unit compare to my aging ReadyNas Ultra 2 & Synology DS1513+?

Is it compatible with Western Digital Red drives?

How easy would the migration of data be, from the two NASes above?

I am currently using the DS1513+ as web, file, video, audio, MS Office-like server.

My Ultra 2 is iSCSI Server to backup and archive mail from the email server. 

I'm looking to replace my Lenovo m73 Mid-Tower e-Mail Server. Would this NAS fit the bill and how easy would the process be to migrate over?

What network security feature does it have to prevent intrusions and hackers, bots, malware and virus; when it's accessible on the internet? 

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 90 of 218
pawbeeman
Aspirant

I understand generally what ReadyNAS is, but do you have a site that provides a simplistic description of what it is, including a graphical depiction of how it interfaces with all devices in the home network?
Message 91 of 218
Lv2Travel
Aspirant

Can you connect the RN212 to an Wifi Range Extender and get the same quality of service? Will the quality of service be there if you added a wifi adapter and connected by wifi only?
Model: RN212D23|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (2x 3TB Desktop)
Message 92 of 218
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Lv2Travel wrote:
Can you connect the RN212 to an Wifi Range Extender and get the same quality of service? Will the quality of service be there if you added a wifi adapter and connected by wifi only?

The ReadyNAS 200 series has two gigabit wired connections, so I'm not sure you can expect that level of throughput over wifi currently. Why is it you want to locate away from the router/switch?

Message 93 of 218
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

@kmotala wrote:

Hello!!! Any custom firmware for this ready nas ??? Or do you plan add bitorrent client to this ??

There is no specific custom firmware for the ReadyNAS. If you venture in that durection may make support an issue.

In the backend is running Debian, so you are able to do most/all the debian things on the unit. There are some packages and versioning that is a little different, but most of the packaging will be the same as any other Debian server.

There are a few bittorrent clients available on the app site:

http://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9

• Qbittorrent
  • Transmission
  • uTorrent

(If there is something not in that list and available on debian, you can ssh and install that client if you wish.)

Note: The OS Space that is allocated on the ReadyNASOS is limited to 4GB, so if there is more space needed for the client/app, we have a directory dedicated for the application space on your data volume.

@katart wrote:

What Apps are available for use with the ReadyNAS 214?

You can look at the app list, and the "Download for" all devices and ARM will be the apps that are compactible with the RN214.

http://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9

beatlesfreak200 wrote:

1. (1) 4k streaming capable?

There is a NAS that was tested to work with 4k (RN626), but there was not extensive testing on all of the prodcut lines since there are a lot of variable when qualifying the full streaming capability.

Note: The stream test is based on Plex's Transcoding. If you are doing XBMC local stream would not require as much CPU from the NAS configuration and would allow for lower end units to be able to perform the 4k transcoding.

beatlesfreak200 wrote:

1. (2) Expandable memory? if so, what are the limits?

Yes. There are some memory modules that are available for rackmount units, but we do not have a supported memory module available for the desktop units.

beatlesfreak200 wrote:

1. (3) RAID levels available?

We support all of the RAIDs: 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, 60

These are options in the Flex-RAID configuration with the right amount of drives:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/storage/WP-ReadyNAS-FlexRAID-Optimization-Guide.pdf

beatlesfreak200 wrote:

1. (4) Any M.2/NVME slots available for caching?

There are no M.2/NVME readily available on the ReadyNAS units. Some of the newer Desktops have a limited size M.2/NVME(and SATA depending on the model), and based on the limited size may not show much supported features from that component.

It is not available yet, but we are looking into something that will be close to caching. (I don't think I can say more than that at this time.)

Message 94 of 218
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

@pawbeeman wrote:
I understand generally what ReadyNAS is, but do you have a site that provides a simplistic description of what it is, including a graphical depiction of how it interfaces with all devices in the home network?

There is an older video that we have that might be what you are looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdioSqoJPrg

There is a newer video that is more of a vlog format that is close too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVq8xF3Ouig

The NAS can be multipurpose and depending on what you are looking for the NAS may fit your needs, but the two videos should give you a quick start on what basics of the NAS (from the ReadyNAS side of things).

Message 95 of 218
jktmagic
Aspirant

Any way to upgrade the cpu or motherboard to make this thing useable? So far it is a waste of money?

Message 96 of 218
mlswayze
Aspirant

Will there be a NAS unit with double power supplies at some time?

Message 97 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@jktmagic wrote:

Any way to upgrade the cpu or motherboard to make this thing useable? So far it is a waste of money?

Would you like to share what model you bought?  And roughly how much did it cost?

Message 98 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@mlswayze wrote:

Will there be a NAS unit with double power supplies at some time?

The high-end rackmount ReadyNAS have double power supplies.  But not yet in the desktop models.  

Message 99 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@pawbeeman wrote:

Welcome to the post-information age.  There is abundance of data, but unorganized, unstructured, uncurated, and unqualified data.  

Maybe we can try a different approach here, a dialog.

A NAS is a storage device that is attached to the network, for you to use from anywhere that is connected to the network, and to share material with anyone who is connected to the network.

What would you like to do with something like that?  And we can talk about what devices that you can connect the NAS to and what sort of connecting hardware and/or software you might need.

Message 100 of 218
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7