× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

24 port managed ethernet switch

navyguy
Aspirant

24 port managed ethernet switch

I am looking for a managed 24 Gigabit Ethernet port multilayer switch that works on layer 2 and layer 3. The switch must have redundant power supplies. Also it must be 19” rack mounted taking up 1U of rack space and 18” depth or less. In addition the switch must meet MIL-S-901D Grade B shock. Also the switch must support the SSH v.2 and GLBP protocols. It must be Cisco IOS compliant with a serial console access that supports RS232. In addition it must be FCC class B compliant.

Message 1 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 24 port managed ethernet switch

Hi @navyguy,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As far as I have checked the data sheet of NETGEAR ProSAFE Managed Switches, it is not indicated that it has a rating of MIL-S-901D Grade B shock nor it is a Cisco IOS compliant.  It could be possible that you are looking for a Cisco managed switch not NETGEAR.

Let me just share the data sheet below of both NETGEAR ProSAFE M5300 and M4300 series managed switches: 

ProSAFE® M5300 Next-Gen Edge Managed Switches

ProSAFE® M4300 Intelligent Edge Managed Switches

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@navyguy,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 12
navyguy
Aspirant

Does anyone know the lower bound for relative humidity for the Netgear ProSafe M5300 switch series? The upper bound is listed but not the upper bound. 

Model: M5300-28G (GSM7228S)|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit L2+ Managed Stackable Switch, M5300-28G_PoE+ (GSM7228PSv1h2)|ProSAFE 24+4 L2+ Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch, M5300-28G3 (GSM7328Sv2h2)|ProSAFE 24-port Managed L3 Gigabit Stackable Switch, M5300-28GF3 (GSM7328FSv2)|ProSAFE 24F+4 Layer 3 Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch
Message 4 of 12
navyguy
Aspirant

Does anyone know the power consumption for the models listed?

Model: M5300-28G (GSM7228S)|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit L2+ Managed Stackable Switch, M5300-28G-PoE+ (GSM7228PSv1h2)|ProSAFE 24+4 L2+ Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch, M5300-28G3 (GSM7328Sv2h2)|ProSAFE 24-port Managed L3 Gigabit Stackable Switch, M5300-28GF3 (GSM7328FSv2)|ProSAFE 24F+4 Layer 3 Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch
Message 5 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@navyguywrote:

Does anyone know the power consumption for the models listed?

You can derive the max continuous power requirements directly from the heat dissipation numbers.

@navyguy wrote:

Does anyone know the lower bound for relative humidity for the Netgear ProSafe M5300 switch series? The upper bound is listed but not the upper bound. 

The lower bound is unspecified because there is no requirement for any humidity for the switch operations - so take it as 0%. 

I hope you can get this confirmed officially from Netgear - I'm not keen to get imprisoned for "providing false information" when travelling abroad. However, have done several military projects including maritime military installations, some inherited special packing of IT industry standard systems for naval similar mil 19" installations. Good luck for yours! 

Message 6 of 12
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you, @schumaku this is correct.

@navyguy I would consider M4300 series instead, which has replaced M5300 series. Max power consumption in Watts is listed for every model in the M4300 datasheet (search page 49).  As @DaneA mentioned, I would be cautious with MIL-S-901D Grade B or Cisco IOS compliance requirements. If these requirements are mandatory, then you shouldn't consider NETGEAR M4300 series.

Regards,

Message 7 of 12
navyguy
Aspirant

What shock and vibe standards does the M4300 switch series meet?

Message 8 of 12
navyguy
Aspirant

What is a ballpark estimate on the EOL for the M4300 switch series? We are replacing our current switch because it has reached its EOL. So we don't want to replace this switch with a new one that has a EOL within 3 years. 

Message 9 of 12
navyguy
Aspirant

Does the M4300 ethernet switch series have stacking capablity of stacking switches that are more than 3 meters apart?

Message 10 of 12
navyguy
Aspirant

Does the M4300 ethernet switch series have redundant fans?

Message 11 of 12
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

@navyguy  I hope you can read M4300 4-page Product Brief (rapid overview) or M4300 Brochure (more complete overview) or the comprehensive M4300 datasheet (exhaustive information) under the M4300 product page Resources tab.

Let me answer your questions: 

• M4300 is flexible enough for mixed stacking between 10 Gigabit and 1 Gigabit models, using any 10G port with any media type (RJ45, SFP+, DAC cables). There is no "dedicated" stacking port or stacking media. You can enable Stacking Mode on any 10 Gigabit port on any model (up to four 10G Stacking Ports on each Gigabit switch; and up to sixteen 10G Stacking Ports on each 10 Gigabit switch)
  • M4300 does't have redundant fans, only dual, redundant and hotswap PSUs (full-width models) or modular, serviceable PSU (half-width models)
  • There is no EOL communication on M4300 models. The M4300 product lifecycle is still around the "introduction" stage and the "growth" stage. We are adding new models to this family (see the stunning new M4300-96X, the world-first modular 10G switch scaling up to 96 ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet by multiple of 8 ports). I wouldn't worry too much about the EOL at this stage, although I cannot officially comment nor commit for a pre-defined remaining life time of any sort.
  • M4300 models don't comply with Industrial-grade or Military-grade shock standards or vibration standards. M4300 models are built and tested for normal office and server environments. Our strict reliability testing procedures include industry-standard "Shock" testing with accelerations up to 40G, as well as "Vibration" testing with frequencies up to 100Hz. 

Thank you for considering NETGEAR M4300 series. You can contact NETGEAR Sales representatives at your convenience as well, just send an email to  sales@netgear.com 

Regards,

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements