× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AUTO-VOIP VLAN or manual, need help with initial config. two Networks in use as well

MMC_TechGuy
Aspirant

AUTO-VOIP VLAN or manual, need help with initial config. two Networks in use as well

I will admit up front that I'm a bit new to VLAN and some of the terminology. I understand what they do, and basically how they work, but not things like LAG.

My scenario is my ISP is handing me two internet "feeds" on different networks, one for data, one for phones. The plan is to take the data feed and push it through my firewall (TZ400) and the phone feed through the ISP router and what comes out are two NAT networks. Let's call them network 1D and network 2P.

My plan is to put 1D into port 49 (non POE port) and 2P into port 50.

the plan is also to have ONE network drop per office, with the network cable first going to the VOIP phone, and then from the phone, on to the computer.

I don't see, or have any need for the computers to be segregated so I was expecting to put them on the "default" VLAN and have them using the untagged VLAN. (the 1D network)

The phones, on the other hand, I was thinking of putting on either the "Auto-VOIP" VLAN (2) or set this VLAN statically. The phones will then be configured to use VLAN 2.

Computers, untagged, using network 1D would get their DHCP from my firewall on port 49, while the phones, in VLAN 2, using network 2P, would get their DHCP from the ISP router, connected to port 50.

So, here is where I need help. I'm not sure how to configure the normal, POE ports for this VLAN 2 (network 2P). I know I need to tag packets entering port 50 with VLAN 2 tags, but then do I need to do anything for each of the POE ports? I don't want those ports removing any tags.

And then I'm not sure about routing. Do I need to set a route for the 2P and 1D networks, or will it be enough to have port 49 untagged and 50 tagged with VLAN2 such that in essence, any traffic entering (and then merging on the LAN) on port 50 will simply go to the phones, and return, while untagged data will pass from port 49 and connect with the computers? Since the networks are different, I guess I could also use the IP-Network based VLAN option, but is there any reason to complicate this more than what I've explained?

And finally, with QOS, I would clearly want any VLAN2 packets to take priority over untagged packets. Any help with that would be dearly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Model: M4100-50G-PoE+ (GSM7248P)|ProSAFE 50-port Gigabit Fully Managed L2 Switch with PoE+
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
MMC_TechGuy
Aspirant

Re: AUTO-VOIP VLAN or manual, need help with initial config. two Networks in use as well

Thanks DaneA,

I finally ended up calling support but I will read the two articles you noted as well.

Turns out the issue was fundamentally simple-- I simply needed to put the feed for the data network  (1D) into the default VLAN, while putting the Voice router feed port into the Voice VLAN (2P) . Then I tested it with an Aastra phone, using the OUI-based Auto-VOIP method. The Aastra phone automatically chose VLAN2, and then grabbed a DHCP from the VoIP router. 

In practice, it was a bit different. The phones in use were Cisco and they simply WOULD NOT grab an address from the VoIP Vlan. Another VoIP phone (a Polycom) worked fine! 

The solution was to visit the Voice VLAN config page and enable LLDP for those ports and though LLDP, the switch was able to switch the VLAN to 2 BEFORE DHCP was requested, which meant they finally picked up the right address and started working correctly. Before that, All the Cisco phones would pick up the untagged default VLAN DHCP network, and then switch to the Voice VLAN, but using the data VLAN IP address. Friggin Cisco.

View solution in original post

Model: M4100-50G-PoE+ (GSM7248P)|ProSAFE 50-port Gigabit Fully Managed L2 Switch with PoE+
Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: AUTO-VOIP VLAN or manual, need help with initial config. two Networks in use as well

Hi @MMC_TechGuy,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let me share the articles below.  Use it as your reference guides:

Setup the NETGEAR switch for VLAN and LLDP to separate voice & data traffic to different routes with...

Auto-VoIP and LLDP-MED Guide

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
MMC_TechGuy
Aspirant

Thanks DaneA,

I finally ended up calling support but I will read the two articles you noted as well.

Turns out the issue was fundamentally simple-- I simply needed to put the feed for the data network  (1D) into the default VLAN, while putting the Voice router feed port into the Voice VLAN (2P) . Then I tested it with an Aastra phone, using the OUI-based Auto-VOIP method. The Aastra phone automatically chose VLAN2, and then grabbed a DHCP from the VoIP router. 

In practice, it was a bit different. The phones in use were Cisco and they simply WOULD NOT grab an address from the VoIP Vlan. Another VoIP phone (a Polycom) worked fine! 

The solution was to visit the Voice VLAN config page and enable LLDP for those ports and though LLDP, the switch was able to switch the VLAN to 2 BEFORE DHCP was requested, which meant they finally picked up the right address and started working correctly. Before that, All the Cisco phones would pick up the untagged default VLAN DHCP network, and then switch to the Voice VLAN, but using the data VLAN IP address. Friggin Cisco.

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@MMC_TechGuy,

I'm glad to know that its now working fine.  Thanks for sharing how it worked. 🙂 

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements