× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bandwidth Limit GS752TPS - How? Can't figure it out.

thapchild
Aspirant

Bandwidth Limit GS752TPS - How? Can't figure it out.

I purchased 3 GS752TPS switches, stacked, configured, and installed them.

The QOS on the documentation says "Port-Based Ingress and egress rate limiting" yet I can find nowhere in the user interface to limit.

I have a few users who are sucking up too much upload bandwidth and I want to limit them to 1Mb/s total.  This was a pretty big factor in my decision to purchase these switches.

I'm starting to think netgear falsely documented features of the switch.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/GS728TS-GS728TPS-GS752TS-GS752TPS.pdf

There is a data sheet where it says "rate limiting" is a feature of the switch. As well as lists out "port based ingress/egress rate limiting". 

What am I missing here?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Bandwidth Limit GS752TPS - How? Can't figure it out.

Hi thapchild,

If you want to limit one port upload speed, I suggest the QoS DiffServ function is better.

For example, limit port 1/g10 upload speed to 1Mbps

Config Step:

1. GUI go to 'QoS'-->'DiffServ'-->'Advanced'-->'Class Configuration' page, create class name as c1;

2. Click c1 and set condition is default 'Match Every', click Apply button;

3. Go to 'Policy Configuration' page, create policy name as p1, member class select c1;

4. Click p1 and select 'Simple Policy', set 'Comitted Rate' to 1000(kbps), set 'Committed Burst Size' to 128, set 'Conform Action' to send, set 'Violate Action' to drop, click Apply button;

5. Go to 'Service Configuration' page, binding 1/g10 to p1 policy, click Apply button;

And this configuration will only limit port 1/g10 upload speed.

For detailed DiffServ configuraiton info, you also can refer to the UserManual of this switch.

Hope it can helps!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi thapchild,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Yes, as you said, GS752TPS support port based rate limiting both for ingress and egress.

But for ingress direction, it's link to Storm Control function, detailed configuraiton page is: web GUI go to 'Security'-->'Traffic Control'-->'Storm Control', Switch support ingress control for 'Unknown Unitcast' 'Broadcast' and 'Multicast'.

And for egress direction rate limit, it's link to QoS function, detailed configuraiton page is: web GUI go to  'QoS'-->'CoS'-->'Advanced'-->'CoS Interface Configuraiton'-->'Interface Shaping Rate'

For detail configuration of QoS and Storm Control, you can refer to User Manual, below is the link

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS728TPS/GS7xxTS_GS7xxTPS-SWA_1Mar12.pdf

Regards,

EricZ

NETGEAR employee

Message 2 of 4
thapchild
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply Eric.

I have a situation where I have a wireless access point that's in our Lobby that I need to restrict the upload speeds on.  I know the port of the switch, what would be the best method to limit the speeds of this port?

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi thapchild,

If you want to limit one port upload speed, I suggest the QoS DiffServ function is better.

For example, limit port 1/g10 upload speed to 1Mbps

Config Step:

1. GUI go to 'QoS'-->'DiffServ'-->'Advanced'-->'Class Configuration' page, create class name as c1;

2. Click c1 and set condition is default 'Match Every', click Apply button;

3. Go to 'Policy Configuration' page, create policy name as p1, member class select c1;

4. Click p1 and select 'Simple Policy', set 'Comitted Rate' to 1000(kbps), set 'Committed Burst Size' to 128, set 'Conform Action' to send, set 'Violate Action' to drop, click Apply button;

5. Go to 'Service Configuration' page, binding 1/g10 to p1 policy, click Apply button;

And this configuration will only limit port 1/g10 upload speed.

For detailed DiffServ configuraiton info, you also can refer to the UserManual of this switch.

Hope it can helps!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements