× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP configuration on MX4300-48X

Liander
Guide

DHCP configuration on MX4300-48X

Hello Everyone,

I've got one configuration Issue: I'm new to the M4300 ProSAFE Switch and I'm trying to configure it. I've noticed that there is a DHCP server section under System -> Services and I need a little help to these question:

In my switch I've got several vlan mapped on a various number of ports. I'd like to enable DHCP on some vlan (let take an example):

Port 1 to 4 Vlan 20 subnet 192.168.0.0/24 (Need DHCP)

Port 5 to 8 Vlan 10 subnet 192.168.3.0/24 (No need for DHCP)

Port 9 to 12 Vlan 5 subnet 192.168.5.0/24 (Need DHCP)

No routing is needed between the Vlan.

How can I make this configuration?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks again

Luca

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: DHCP configuration on MX4300-48X

@Liander,

You are correct. Actually the last article that I just shared with you was the DHCP configuration on that, not the whole routing. You don't need to enable VLAN routing anymore on this setup as it will be handled already by your external router. So no need to worry about that. My apologies with the confusion.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Liander,

Welcome to our community!

Here is an article that will help you create DHCP server and DHCP pool on your network. Let us know if you do have any questions.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Liander,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread. Please let us know if everything works ok now or you still need further assistance.

Regards,

Message 3 of 8
Liander
Guide

Dear JohnCarloV,

thanks for your first reply. I've followed all the insctuction on your link, but there is something that is not clear. It seem that it could be possibile to define more than one DHCP pool, so how is possible to assign the DHCP pool to a VLAN or to some ethernet ports? Is there any way?

Thanks a lot for your help again

Luca

Message 4 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Liander,

To associate a DHCP pool to a VLAN, ensure that the network address of the pool matches the network address of the VLAN. For example, VLAN 10 in this example is assigned the IP address 192.168.10.254 and network mask 255.255.255.0. This has a network address of 192.168.10.0. When creating the DHCP pool for VLAN 10, ensure that the network address is 192.168.10.0 with network mask 255.255.255.0. The switch automatically assigns the DHCP pool to the corresponding VLAN (VLAN 10 in this case).

Please refer on this article.

Regards,

Message 5 of 8
Liander
Guide

@JohnC_V

Thank you again, one last question about this: I don't want to use routing capablities of the switch, instead I've got an external router. To assign an IP to a vlan is correct to use the menu Routing -> VLAN -> VLAN Routing configuration?

In my example Vlan 400 is a 172.24.123.0/24 and Vlan 4 is a 172.24.32.0/23 so my VLAN Configuration is this:VLAN_DHCP.pngThen I've configured a DHCP Pool only for 172.24.123.0/24 like this:

VLAN_PoolDHCP.png

Obviusly Routing doesn't have to work. Routing must be handled by my external router: is enough to disable it from the menu Routing ->IP -> Ip Configuration?

Routing.png

Excuse me but before putting al settings online I've got to be sure about configuration because this is an important core switch.

Thanks again

Luca

Message 6 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Liander,

You are correct. Actually the last article that I just shared with you was the DHCP configuration on that, not the whole routing. You don't need to enable VLAN routing anymore on this setup as it will be handled already by your external router. So no need to worry about that. My apologies with the confusion.

Regards,

Message 7 of 8
Liander
Guide

Hi @JohnC_V,

sorry for being late on the answer but it was an hard work do all the configuration for the switches.

It's a correct solution! Thank you again for your time

Thanks a lot again

Luca

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements