× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices with static IP's

Ben_Gib
Aspirant

Devices with static IP's

Hi everyone,

We have two industrial PLC's (PLC = these boxes in CNC maschines and the like) with static IP addresses which must communicate with a virtual maschine where the database is located.

We cannot change the IP adresses due to a definition of the customer.

PLC 1: 144.32.55.66 /255.255.255.0 

PLC 2: 144.32.33.45/255.255.255.0

Database Server: 192.168.1.34/255.255.255.0, running as HyperV instance with VLAN support

We need to let them communicate with each other for tests. The customer has its sophisticated Room full of Router/Switches where they manage these and many more maschines. We don't. We need a little Setup to test the PLC's accessing to/from the database.

Our tests failed so far but with direct crosslink cables, the devices are accessible at their IP.

Can someone recommend a Netgear device which can do this? I'm a bit confused about the myriad of available devices.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Devices with static IP's

Nothing wrong with the home router approach, isn't it? Except that it might have some (forced) NAT on.

Any Netgear L2+ or L3 switch (mandatory feature: IPv4 routing) from the Smart Managed Pro or Managed switch class configured with two VLANs and a proper routing config for the two subnets will do the job. To my knowledge, Netgear does not offer "generic" routers.

At the end of the day it depends on exactly your lab has match the customer environment.

PS: Well, consider a heavy iron (not consumer or SMB) router it will be some 5000 bucks plus 15% maintenance and support p.a., there can't be anything wrong, and nobody was fired because of buying C***** 8-)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

A simple router, like a Linux system with some routing might work. Of course you migth also consider buying a L3 router with IPv4 routing support, and configure the similar environment (same subnet default gateway IPs et all).

For simplicity, what about adding additional IP addresses to the HyperV instance so the database is served on the two same subnets like the two PLCs - so only the DB server IP must be adopted

Message 2 of 5
Ben_Gib
Aspirant

Hi

Let me thank you for your answer. A bit late, sorry.

In regard to your first solution, I would be in favour of the L3 router, but really unsure which model I should buy. If I say to the boss :"model xy will work, it's just 500$" and then it does not work .... well I only work 3 weeks there and intend to stay longer employed.

Your second solution was new to me, well I knew it once 20 years ago, thanks for refreshing my memory. Unfortunately, the IP addresses are absolutely fixed.

I worked around with an old Internet router. The database is connected on the WAN Port and the PLC's are on the router's LAN. It works.

If anybody can give me a recommendation for a simple L3 Netgear router which can handle this scenario, I would be open to hear that. I mean, this Home router setup is a bit lame.

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Nothing wrong with the home router approach, isn't it? Except that it might have some (forced) NAT on.

Any Netgear L2+ or L3 switch (mandatory feature: IPv4 routing) from the Smart Managed Pro or Managed switch class configured with two VLANs and a proper routing config for the two subnets will do the job. To my knowledge, Netgear does not offer "generic" routers.

At the end of the day it depends on exactly your lab has match the customer environment.

PS: Well, consider a heavy iron (not consumer or SMB) router it will be some 5000 bucks plus 15% maintenance and support p.a., there can't be anything wrong, and nobody was fired because of buying C***** 8-)

Message 4 of 5
Ben_Gib
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Any Netgear L2+ or L3 switch (mandatory feature: IPv4 routing) from the Smart Managed Pro or Managed switch class

I thank you with three virtual foot kisses for this information! Smiley Happy

The C**** is not an option, the company owner says that all network devices must be from the same manufacturer. It makes some sense, then on the other hand not really much, think NIC's. But it is surely a plus because the web interfaces of the network gear looks always familiar. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements