× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dummy (unmanaged) switch for VoIP phone and computer

tonynsx
Luminary

Dummy (unmanaged) switch for VoIP phone and computer

Just to make sure, if I want to connect a VoIP phone and computer, I need a PoE Manged switch correct?  Because dummy (unmanaged) switch wouldn't be able to do both voice VLAN and computer VLAN?

VoIP phone connects to managed switch with voice VLAN as Trunk and computer VLAN as Untagged.  Then computer connects to the back of the VoIP phone.  This is the only and recommended way right?

If I replace the managed switch with a dummy switch what would happen?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Dummy (unmanaged) switch for VoIP phone and computer

PoE is required if the test VoIP device needs to be PoE powered and has no power input connection available.

To configure a simple VLAN deployment with two VLANs you need at least a switch with the ability to define two VLANs, and define the required port config in tagged or untagged form for your test set-up. An unmanaged switch isn't sufficient.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

PoE is required if the test VoIP device needs to be PoE powered and has no power input connection available.

To configure a simple VLAN deployment with two VLANs you need at least a switch with the ability to define two VLANs, and define the required port config in tagged or untagged form for your test set-up. An unmanaged switch isn't sufficient.

Message 2 of 3
tonynsx
Luminary

@schumaku 

Agreed, just wanted to be extra sure.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation