× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with Smart Switch Model selection

phoenixrising20
Aspirant

Help with Smart Switch Model selection

I just had fiber service installed to my facility and my ISP provided me with 5 static WAN IP addresses.  Prior to this I had five cable modems and each modem was connected to a router which provide a LAN, effectivily having 5 physical LAN.  I would like to transistion this network eliminating the cable modems and moving to the 5 static WAN IP address on the fiber service.  However still maintain the 5 sperate LANs.

My Thinking is to use a smart switch to setup a VLAN for each of the 5 Static WAN IP addresses, then configure my switch ports as need for the devices on which ever VLAN,  

Does this make sence?  What would be a recomendation on a switch to use (I have total 12 devices on  all VLans?   Fianlly do I still need a router for each VLAN or does the switch provide that function?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
phoenixrising20
Aspirant

Re: Help with Smart Switch Model selection

Hi Laurent

Just wanted to close with my experiences, the sales support you recommend was excellent.  Based on those discussions I purchased the switch and router you recommended. 

As I was installing I had a few configuration issues (issues based on my understanding of the hardware),  the Netgear switch came with free 90 day support, which I called to discuss my issues. 

The Support engineer was very helpful and cleared up my issues, once again excellent support.  All in all I was able to get my network up and running within a day,  and per my requirements with the support systems Netgear has in place.   Very impressive. 

Thank you.

Larry

View solution in original post

Model: M4100-26G (GSM7224v2h2)|ProSAFE 26-port Gigabit Fully Managed L2 Switch
Message 9 of 10

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi phoenixrising20

Welcome to the Community!

I don't think you can easily replace a typical Router with any Smart or Managed switch. Reason is that you still need Firewalling and NAT services for your clients (devices). While Smart or Managed switches can handle Static Routing quite easily with Routing IP Interfaces on each of their VLANs, they still need NAT on the gateway for the static routes back.

Put it this way: without a Router, and with the five WAN Fiber connections going straight to a Smart or Managed switch solution, your devices will be able to send packets to the internet, but they will never receive packets in return because of no NAT and no route back to them on WAN side.

I hope it makes sense, please let me know if you need more explanations. In your case, you may want to consider one gateway (router) left on your network connecting to your new WAN fiber service and correctly set up for your five static WAN IP addresses. A Smart Managed switch such as GS724Tv4 could handle VLANs and static routing for your devices, with VLANs for each group of devices and each static WAN IP address. While egress static routes will be set up on your Smart Managed switch, you will then need to set ingress static routes (back) on your router.

Maybe these two posts could further help you:

Regards,

Message 2 of 10
phoenixrising20
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for the information.

I guess I have to understand further on how to configure the Router for the Five Static WAN IP addresses.  Do have any suggestion on which Netgear Router would work for this application?

Also would the switch provide the DHCP address for the individual VLANs?

Thanks again

Message 3 of 10
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Any NETGEAR Prosafe Firewall/Router would manage five static WAN IP addresses in your network: I would advise the SRX5308 here.

In order to have the switch providing DHCP addresses to your devices for the individual VLANs, we need to have DHCP server in the switch. This is one of the key differences between NETGEAR Smart Managed switches and NETGEAR Fully Managed switches. DHCP Server will only be in NETGEAR Fully Managed switches, with DHCP Pools for each individual VLANs. Maybe this post will be useful for you in terms of DHCP Server: DHCP how-to.

For the record, you may also have DHCP services outside of the switch, for instance on one SBS server or on your router. In that case, DHCP Relay is needed on the switch so that your devices can easily get their IP addresses. Here again, only NETGEAR Fully Managed switches will provide these DHCP Relay (IP Helper) services at Layer 3 for UDP.

I would advise M4100 series for you, if no other requirements than Gigabit ports and static routing: NETGEAR M4100 Fully Managed switches are excellent Intelligent Edge models with great software and very affordable price points, just above Smart Managed switches. A fully functional Web interface (GUI) is available for easy configuration and easy management.  M4100-26G (GSM7224v2) would be the one in your case. 

For the Firewall/VPN Router configuration, I think you can find good explanations in this SRX5308 Reference Manual on page 33 then page 38 (IP Configuration).

Regards,

Message 4 of 10
phoenixrising20
Aspirant

Thanks again for the information, you have been very helpful. I have review the two products you mentioned, and I somewhat see how they would work.  I have several additional detailed questions, is there soemone I could talk to go over the system.

Thanks

Larry

Message 5 of 10
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

No problem, which country? Let me know and I will connect you with a brilliant NETGEAR Sales Engineer.

Regards,
Message 6 of 10
phoenixrising20
Aspirant

Excellant  -- I am in the United States -- New York State

Message 7 of 10
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Perfect Larry, I sent you MP with the Sales Engineer details. Please feel free to contact him. And please keep us updated.

Regards,
Message 8 of 10
phoenixrising20
Aspirant

Hi Laurent

Just wanted to close with my experiences, the sales support you recommend was excellent.  Based on those discussions I purchased the switch and router you recommended. 

As I was installing I had a few configuration issues (issues based on my understanding of the hardware),  the Netgear switch came with free 90 day support, which I called to discuss my issues. 

The Support engineer was very helpful and cleared up my issues, once again excellent support.  All in all I was able to get my network up and running within a day,  and per my requirements with the support systems Netgear has in place.   Very impressive. 

Thank you.

Larry

Model: M4100-26G (GSM7224v2h2)|ProSAFE 26-port Gigabit Fully Managed L2 Switch
Message 9 of 10
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Larry

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad everything went all right, Please let us know if the Community can do anything else for you.

Merry Christmas!
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements