× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to make network failover or redundancy?

parkck
Aspirant

How to make network failover or redundancy?

HI

-------- Line 1 -----------

Rounter  ----|                                  | ---- Network swich ----- PC

-------- Line 2 -----------

I need to make

Line 1 and Line 2 connect to network switch 

When Line 1 disconnect then Line 2 take over.

I knew when line 1 and 2 connect to same switch then network loop.

Any better IDEA?

Message 1 of 6
kevin_hong
Apprentice

Re: How to make network failover or redundancy?

Hi @parkck ,

Welcome to community,

There is two plans for you.

Plan A : Lyaer 3 plans: (Need you switch to support routing feature)

You can configure static or dynamic routing to achieve network redundancy and load sharing through routing priority configuration and routing strategy on both links

Plan B: Lyaer 2: (Need you Router to have LAN port and support STP feature)

Connect the two lines directly to the router's LAN port,Through the STP protocol, loop detection can be carried out and one link can be interrupted during operation to realize redundancy of two links

If you can provide netgear switch model and router model, I can offer more Suggestions

Thank you

Message 2 of 6
parkck
Aspirant

Thank you for reply this.

This is Local network (Class C) 2 strusture communications each others not such as 2 internet connections.

How about loop network/protocol? Do i need CISCO?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 6
kevin_hong
Apprentice

Hi @parkck ,

Plan C:

If there was only one Internet WAN port in your Router, i think you do not need two links from switch to router.

For example(Simple network):

Internet --------- Wan port-------Router-----192.168.1.0-----Swtich=========192.168.1.0 / 192.168.2.0

Key point:

Can you provide the detailed model of the router?   It affect what scheme should be used if you really need to connect two links.

BTW: 

For Layer 3 plan you can choose netgear switch that support routing,  such as Smart switch(F4 GS728TPP) or Manage Switch M4300...etc

For Layer 2 pan you can choose netgear switch that support STP, such as Smart switch F4 or S350...etc

Message 4 of 6
jec956613
Tutor

There's also a third option: if your router supports LAG and your switches support stacking, you can run one line from each stack member to the LAG on the router, then one line from each stack member you wish to have highly available on the other side.  Failover is usually fastest with this method and you aggregate more bandwidth, with the downside being that scheduled maintennace takes down the entire switch stack at once.

Message 5 of 6
parkck
Aspirant

Thank you for reply

I'm still not sure

This is my model

Frontier DSL MODEL & Router Port #3     Line 1 - Wireless AP 1 -   Bridge 1 -  Managed Switch 1 Port #23

Frontier DSL MODEL & Router Port #4     Line 2 - Wireless AP 2 -   Bridge 2 -  Managed Switch 2 Port #24

Switch Port #23, #24 configure to LAG.

Is this working?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements