× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

JGS524Ev2 slowing my download speed

socalbigmike
Initiate

JGS524Ev2 slowing my download speed

Hello, Just installed a new JGS524Ev2 to replace a "dumb" switch on my network. I have a 200 Mbps internet connection that usually provides me with 200-225 Mbps download and 15-20 Mbps upload speeds. After connecting this switch, updating the firmware, and setting a static ip, I can't get more that 65 Mbps download speeds. The upload speeds are not affected. I rebooted with factory defaults, same results. This was tested with two different PC's connected directly to the switch. If I connect the PC's back into the "dumb" switch, or directly into the router, I get my original 200-225 download speeds back. Not sure what the deal is, any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
socalbigmike
Initiate

Re: JGS524Ev2 slowing my download speed

Thanks for the reply, didn't realize there was a better place to post this, feel free to move the post if possible. Problem solved by returning the switch to factory defaults and reinstalling the latest firmware. The only thing I did differently than when I originally installed it, was using the browser to update the firmware as apposed to the ProSAFE Utility Tool. Don't know if that had anything to do with it, or if it was just a fluke, I'm just glad it's working.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@socalbigmike wrote:

Hello, Just installed a new JGS524Ev2 to replace a "dumb" switch on my network.

The JGS524Ev2 is a Smart Managed Plus switch so the Smart/Plus/Click Switches community section would be a better match.

@socalbigmike wrote:

I have a 200 Mbps internet connection that usually provides me with 200-225 Mbps download and 15-20 Mbps upload speeds. After connecting this switch, updating the firmware, and setting a static ip, I can't get more that 65 Mbps download speeds.

Hard to imagine a modern L2 switch providing n-to-n Gigabit Ethernet capability can have such an impact unless there is a firmware or connectivity issue.

Which firmware version are we talk of here?

Ensure you have the current firmware in place on your switch -> https://www.netgear.com/support/product/JGS524Ev2.aspx#download - and for the sake of it run it through a factory reset. 

Message 2 of 3
socalbigmike
Initiate

Thanks for the reply, didn't realize there was a better place to post this, feel free to move the post if possible. Problem solved by returning the switch to factory defaults and reinstalling the latest firmware. The only thing I did differently than when I originally installed it, was using the browser to update the firmware as apposed to the ProSAFE Utility Tool. Don't know if that had anything to do with it, or if it was just a fluke, I'm just glad it's working.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements