× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4100 26 POE with no gigabit

DG77
Aspirant

M4100 26 POE with no gigabit

Hi all,

I've been trying to diagnose an issue with my M4100 not being able to get any gigabit speed (as reported by both ethtool and the netgear admin console). In total I've tried the following:

1. Factory reset.

2. Replaced all network cables.

3. Directly connect PC to switch. 

4. Connected working Netgear unmanaged switch to the M4100. Both sides connected @ 100mbps.

All result in 100mbps connections.

I've also run ethtool on a server connected to a port and got: "Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full" so seems switch isn't advertising 1000mbps.

I used the exact same cables and same PC to connect to the unmanaged switch and it instantly gets 1000mbps. 

I'm definately leaning towards thinking this is a hardware issue but thought I'd post here as a last resort.

Model: M4100-26G-POE (GSM7226LP)|ProSafe 26 ports gigabits fully managed L2 switch with PoE
Message 1 of 3
DG77
Aspirant

Re: M4100 26 POE with no gigabit

Here is the information I've added to the support ticket. It includes a bit more info:

The problem I am having is that none of the ports are auto negotiating to 1000mbps. This did use to work.

The things I've tried so far are:
1. Replaced all patch cables with new Cat6 cables.
2. Upgrade firmware to the latest (shown in "device status" as 10.0.2.30)
3. Factory reset using the menu option: Maintenance > Reset > Factory Default
4. Tested a server connected to the switch with ethtool. The output shows the following "Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full".
5. Connected a gigabit capable PC directly to the switch using the new Cat6 cable. Speed is still showing as 100mbps.
6. Connected the same PC directly to an un-managed Netgear switch. PC and lights on switch show connection at 1000mbps.
7. Replaced the M4100 switch with the un-managed switch. This showed all gigabit capable devices as connecting at the full 1000mbps as expected.
8. I also tried connecting the M4100 and un-managed switch together using the Cat6. Both sides show only 100mps connections.

All tests were done before and after a factory reset.
After the factory reset all ports did not have anything plugged in apart from the PC I was using to configure the switch.

Message 2 of 3
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: M4100 26 POE with no gigabit

Hi DG77,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you pretty isolated the issue and this is working before. Then, this is already for RMA. I checked your case and it seems that it is now ongoing. 

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements