× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300 & NBASE-T

nmarques
Guide

M4300 & NBASE-T

Hello,

I am using a M4300 as part of an NDI workflow. I am attempting to use a 10Gtek ASF-10G-T SFP+ in one of the 10G ports, connected to a TRENDnet TUC-ET2G 2.5G USB Ethernet adapter. I can get 2.5G link, but bandwidth seems very low. I am getting upwards of 700Mbps from the onboard Realtek NIC in a brand new Intel H310 / Core i7 based PC. On the USB NIC, even with one NDI stream, which is about 180Mbps, the stream is very laggy. 

I am not sure if this has to do with the switch or if anyone has more experience with NBASE-T than I do to know where to look for improvements. 

According to this document, the 10Gtek should support 2.5G. I don't think this is a USB bandwidth issue as it is on a USB 3.1 port, and this isn't exceeding or approaching the 5G limit of USB 3.1. This review also confirms the functionality. 

Is there something in the switch I should be looking at as far as the poor performance? Internet and small packet transfers do work. I am not seeing any errors or discarded packets in the switch monitoring pages. I did notice that the switch says the link is negotiated at 10G and not 2.5G, but I am guessing that is due to the switch not being NBASE-T aware?

As far as configuration, flow control is enabled, jumbo packets are disabled, and EEE features are all disabled as per the NDI guidelines. 

I realize Netgear doesn't support 3rd party SFPs. 

Model: GSM4328S|M4300-28G - Stackable Managed Switch with 24x1G and 4x10G including 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: M4300 & NBASE-T

To my knowledge, all M4300 Series SFP+ slots are spec'ed for 1G/10G only. On the SFP+ slot, there is no auto-negotiation - the speed must be the same from switch<->SFP+<-module-> ... <PC>, certainly for fiber link, and almost certainly for Base-T modules.

Only the M4300-16X (XSM4316PA, XSM4316PB) and the modular M4300-96X with the APM408C/APM408P modules are supporting direct and built-in MultiGig. On the M4300-16X this might have an impact on the SFP+ slots, but not sure.

@LaurentMa svp. Vaguely remember you have replied to a similar question before, however I can't locate that thread.

Message 2 of 5
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you, this is correct. Fiber SFP+ ports won't support anything else than 1G SFP transceivers/speed and 10G SFP+ transceivers/speed. There is no Multi-Gigabit Ethernet (2.5G speed or 5G speed) support on SFP+ ports, even on the M4300-16X or M4300-96X switches which offer Multi-Gigabit Ethernet on their 10GBASE-T copper (RJ45) ports.

I hope this helps, M4300 datasheet is detailing various speeds supported by every port very precisely page 3 (At a Glance section), and page 33 (Tech Spec section).

Regards,

Message 3 of 5
nmarques
Guide

@LaurentMa So a switch has to support the speeds specifically on the ports, even if the SFP+ module supports 2.5G/5G speeds?

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Yes. For the very same reason one can't just replace the PHY interface to a switch cores designed for 1/10G to make it MultiGig capable.

In the SFP/SFP+ word, the complete data path from the between the SFP (+) interfaces on the switch side must and does run at the same speeds.

Long time ago in the early days of Gigabit Ethernet we faced a performance issue on Sun production servers and found the switches were operating on Gigabit, while the Sun interfaces were on Fast Ethernet ... it worked, kind of ... similar to your SFP+ interface doing 2.5G. Errors and retransmits happened invisibly in both cases.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements