× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M5300-28G-POE - PoE Port for Mobotix IP Cameras down

gquanz
Tutor

M5300-28G-POE - PoE Port for Mobotix IP Cameras down

After un- and replugging 10 Mobotix IP cameras the switch does not recognize/power up the cameras. They were running for years without problems. Firmware is updated (11.00.31), switch already rebooted. PoE settings: High Power, Power Mode Pre-802.3at (cameras have 802.3af).

What can I do?

Kind Regards

Guido Quanz

Model: GSM7228PSv1h2 | M5300-28G-PoE+ProSAFE 24+4 L2+ Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
gquanz
Tutor

Re: M5300-28G-POE - PoE Port for Mobotix IP Cameras down

Dear DaneA,

thank you again for your kind reply. Fortunately I could solve the problem. The 2 reasons for the not working cameras are:

- I am an idiot (80%)

- poor documentation of the system (20%)

After rechecking the cables I took the camera at the front door (the only one I could reach without a long ladder) and tested it with a PoE injector from my WLAN access points - it worked. After that and by chance I tried it with the network cable at my desk and ot worked, too. Therefore it could only be the cable to the front door - I didn't touch it - oder the PATCH PANEL next to the switch. In the documentation is written, that the cameras have to be plugged in in the lower patch panel - I did that. But some time someone added a patch panel and the cameras in fact had to be plugged into the second lowest  panel. There they are working. Because I unplugged the cameras and didn't remember the right panel 30 minutes later, it was my fault and I wasted your time. I apologize for that!!! Do you habe an "electronic tip box"?

Kind regards

Guido

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @gquanz,

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions and follow the instructions below:

a. Does all 28 PoE+ ports of the M5300-28G-POE+ switch cannot recognize/power up the Mobotix IP Cameras? 

b. Are there any recent changes made on the settings of the M5300-28G-POE+ switch or the Mobotix IP Cameras that might have triggered the problem?

c. On the web-GUI of the M5300-28G-POE+ switch, go to System > PoE > Advanced > PoE Port Configuration.  Is the Admin mode enabled on all 48 PoE+ ports?  If yes, kindly try to disable then click Apply then enable it and click Apply.  Then, check if the same problem will occur.  

d. Let's try this: since the Mobotix IP Cameras only supports 802.3af, go to System > PoE > Advanced > PoE Port Configuration then set the High Power mode to Disabled.  Observe if the same problem will occur.  

e. Have you tried to update the firmware of the Mobotix IP Cameras as well?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
gquanz
Tutor

Dear DaneA,

thank you for your kind and fast reply. I am not an network expert (I bought switch and cameras with our new home), but will try to answer your questions:

a) The cameras don't work on any port, however the 4 Ubiquitiy PoE WLAN access points are working on every port (you can see a WLAN access points at port 11 in the attached sreenshot). So, the ports are generally working, perhaps with wrong settings for the cameras (or the switch killed the cameras :-().

b) I didn't change settings of the switch, but pressed the reset button. After this I had to assign a new IP adress via the serial USB port (proud to manage this :-)).

c) I disabled and reactivated the PoE ports - no changes.

d) It is not possible to change the high power mode in the settings - please see the screenshot of the settings. It is only possible to change the values with the rechtangles.

e) Because the cameras are not powered, I cannot change the frimware. However, I know that the firmware is up to date.

f) The Mobotix cameras are M12D (x7, outdoor) and D24M (x3, indoor), both types with IEEE 802.3af PoE.

Kind Regards

Guido

Model: GSM7228PSv1h2 | M5300-28G-PoE+ProSAFE 24+4 L2+ Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch
Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@gquanz,

Thank you for your feedback.  

I searched online and found out that the M12D Mobotix camera has an ISDN port and LAN port.  As reference, kindly check page 2 of the M12D Mobotix data sheet here.  Kindly double check and make sure that you are using the LAN port. 

With the D24M Mobotix camera, kindly make sure that the ethernet cable is inserted properly to its LAN port.  As reference, kindly check page 59 of the D24M Mobotix camera manual here.  

To further isolate the problem, if ever you have a spare PoE switch, kindly try to connect the M12D and D24M Mobotix cameras and observe if the cameras will power on via PoE.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
gquanz
Tutor

Dear DaneA,

thank you again for your kind reply. Fortunately I could solve the problem. The 2 reasons for the not working cameras are:

- I am an idiot (80%)

- poor documentation of the system (20%)

After rechecking the cables I took the camera at the front door (the only one I could reach without a long ladder) and tested it with a PoE injector from my WLAN access points - it worked. After that and by chance I tried it with the network cable at my desk and ot worked, too. Therefore it could only be the cable to the front door - I didn't touch it - oder the PATCH PANEL next to the switch. In the documentation is written, that the cameras have to be plugged in in the lower patch panel - I did that. But some time someone added a patch panel and the cameras in fact had to be plugged into the second lowest  panel. There they are working. Because I unplugged the cameras and didn't remember the right panel 30 minutes later, it was my fault and I wasted your time. I apologize for that!!! Do you habe an "electronic tip box"?

Kind regards

Guido

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements