× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need to limit bandwidth (rate) by port

AevnsGrandpa
Aspirant

Need to limit bandwidth (rate) by port

While I chose this model, I am not bound by it. I am needing a switch where I can limit rate or bandwidth by port.

Here is the situation. My church streams and we currently have a 10Mbps down and 1.1Mbps up. If very few people are on the network (wifi) then the sustained streaming rate is fine with no caching or drop outs but get 60-100 devices hanging off the wifi and all deciding that now is a good time to download updates or something else then the stream is shot to...

I am thinkning that if I can limit the rate through the ports I connect the wifi devices to, this will limit how much of my "pipe" is used so I can keep the 1.1 Mbps upload untouched. Or if there is a way I can dedicate that much bandwidth always for upload only that would work to.

Please give me suggestions on both switches (the GS108E sounded like a nice one for not a lot of $$) and a good way to coomplish my needs.

Thanks,

Jeff 

Model: GS108E|8 ports ProSafe Plus switch
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Need to limit bandwidth (rate) by port

Hi AevnsGrandpa, 

Let us know how it turns out. If it is working fine and this had answered your question, please mark the post as "Accept as Solution". 

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
AevnsGrandpa
Aspirant

So no one has any ideas, hints, put downs or anything?
Message 2 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello AevensGrandpa, 

The GS108E does have a Rate Limit option or Rate Control setttings, with this option you should be able to control the bandwidth of the incoming and outgoing traffic on a specific port. Please see an example configuration here.

Thanks, 

Message 3 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AevnsGrandpa,

Let us know if you have questions. 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 10
AevnsGrandpa
Aspirant

Thanks. I will but am on vacation now and that will have to wait!
Message 5 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello AevnsGrandpa, 

We'll come back to this post after a few weeks. Keep us updated. 🙂

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 10
AevnsGrandpa
Aspirant

Well it is in (105ev2) and i have it so all connections through it i have rate limited. We'll see!
Message 7 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AevnsGrandpa, 

Let us know how it turns out. If it is working fine and this had answered your question, please mark the post as "Accept as Solution". 

Thanks,

Message 8 of 10
AevnsGrandpa
Aspirant

I actually went with the GS105Ev2. I didn't need all 8 ports. Setr the rate to 1Mbps and then did speed checks on Wifi and wired and indeed it is limited!!

One more question, I have port 1 connected to the DSL modem and ports 2-4 to the other hubs and devices. Is ingress and egress in reference to port 1? So data from the DSL modem (the internet) in the ingress to port 1 and what it is to the other ports?

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 9 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello AevnsGrandpa, 

The ingress and egress are on port 1 and the bandwidth is distributed equally on all active ports. So if you have rate limiting defined on port 1 then that bandwidth will be the divided to ports 2-4. 

Let me know if I understood your questions correctly. 

Thanks, 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements