× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetGear ProSafe GS724Tv4 Ethernet Switch 24 Ports Help connecting

Graemezee
Aspirant

NetGear ProSafe GS724Tv4 Ethernet Switch 24 Ports Help connecting

I Have a LAN network with only  Mac based computers I was wondering how to connect to the switch in order to manage it.

I  probably should have purchased an unmanaged switch  I have set it up and everything is working, but as my computers are all macs the disc provided is of no use.  

Have had to select  a product similar  to  mine  as  it's not listed  

Model: GSM7224P|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit Managed L2 Switch with PoE
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NetGear ProSafe GS724Tv4 Ethernet Switch 24 Ports Help connecting

Hi Graemezee,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

You could still use your MAC computers to manage the GS724Tv4 switch because it has a web-GUI.  Kindly try the steps below:

1. Disconnect the GS724Tv4 from the existing network.  The GS724Tv4 will default back to its IP address which is 192.168.0.239.

2. Connect your MAC computer to a LAN port of the GS724Tv4.

3. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 on the MAC computer .

4. Open a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox then at the address bar, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the user interface of switch. Enter "admin" as the username and "password" as the password without the quotation marks.

5. Click  System > Management  > IP Configuration. 

6. On the IP Configuration page, select Static IP address then enter an IP address that is within the IP range of your existing network in the field provided as well as the corresponding subnet mask and default gateway then click Apply.

7. Connect the GS724Tv4 back to your existing network and set the MAC computer back to Obtain an IP address automatically.

To test the connectivity, connect a MAC computer directly to the GS724Tv4.  Open Terminal on the MAC computer, then ping the static IP address you have set on the GS724Tv4 and ping the IP address of the router.  You should be able to get replies.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Graemezee,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

You could still use your MAC computers to manage the GS724Tv4 switch because it has a web-GUI.  Kindly try the steps below:

1. Disconnect the GS724Tv4 from the existing network.  The GS724Tv4 will default back to its IP address which is 192.168.0.239.

2. Connect your MAC computer to a LAN port of the GS724Tv4.

3. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 on the MAC computer .

4. Open a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox then at the address bar, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the user interface of switch. Enter "admin" as the username and "password" as the password without the quotation marks.

5. Click  System > Management  > IP Configuration. 

6. On the IP Configuration page, select Static IP address then enter an IP address that is within the IP range of your existing network in the field provided as well as the corresponding subnet mask and default gateway then click Apply.

7. Connect the GS724Tv4 back to your existing network and set the MAC computer back to Obtain an IP address automatically.

To test the connectivity, connect a MAC computer directly to the GS724Tv4.  Open Terminal on the MAC computer, then ping the static IP address you have set on the GS724Tv4 and ping the IP address of the router.  You should be able to get replies.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Graemezee
Aspirant

Hi, DaneA  Just one small question  If i do this will the switch still be recognised by my router which is the DHCP server. Should I give the switch a fixed IP from the router first of just do as you say and let them figure it out after.  

Kind regards  

Graeme

Message 3 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Graemezee,

Your switch will still be recognized by your router because you will set a static IP address on it that is within the IP range of your local network.  Of course, the static IP address that you will set on the GS724Tv4 should not be used by other devices.  

For me, setting a static IP address on the switch is a good practice because you already know the specific IP address of the switch and ease of access for it to be managed.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
Graemezee
Aspirant

Thanks, DaneA everything is working correctly. Thank you  for  your  help  

Kind regards  

Graeme

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Graemezee,

You're welcome! 🙂   I'm glad to know that everything is working correctly.

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements