× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Datasheets - packet buffers in megabits or megabytes?

DFD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Netgear Datasheets - packet buffers in megabits or megabytes?

Can anybody explain why some Netgear switch datasheets report packet buffers in Megabits and others report in Megabytes?

For example, the M7100 XSM7224's datasheet reports the packet buffer as 16Mb.

In contrast, the XS708T and XS712T are each reported as having a 2MB packet buffer.

2 megabytes is the same as 16 megabits as far as I'm aware so do the 8-port and 24-port switches have the same size packet buffer?

Additionally, the M4300 (XSM4348S) is reported as having a 56Mb packet buffer.

Is that 56Mb, meaning 7MB, or should it instead be 56 megabytes (56MB)?

Thoroughly confused.

Thanks,

DFD

Model: M7100-24X (XSM7224)|ProSAFE 24-port 10G Fully Managed L2 Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Netgear Datasheets - packet buffers in megabits or megabytes?

Hi DFD

'Mb' stands for Megabits and MB 'stands' for Megabytes. I am sorry if you are concerned and confused here: one Megabyte is equivalent to 8 Megabits and all of our datasheets are technically exact regarding Switch Buffer sizes.

Let me help: our Buffer is dynamically shared across ports that are used at a certain time. Buffer is usually used when different speeds between ports.

This is right, our datasheets indicate MB when Smart Managed Switches and Mb when Fully Managed Switches. Historically the reason has been consistency in respective competitive environments. I want to thank you for your message, we may want to reconsider that differentiation and unify measurements across our product lines moving forward.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about our 10 Gigabit Smart Managed switches (XS708T to XS748T); or 10 Gigabit Fully Managed Switches (such as M4300 series).

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi DFD

'Mb' stands for Megabits and MB 'stands' for Megabytes. I am sorry if you are concerned and confused here: one Megabyte is equivalent to 8 Megabits and all of our datasheets are technically exact regarding Switch Buffer sizes.

Let me help: our Buffer is dynamically shared across ports that are used at a certain time. Buffer is usually used when different speeds between ports.

This is right, our datasheets indicate MB when Smart Managed Switches and Mb when Fully Managed Switches. Historically the reason has been consistency in respective competitive environments. I want to thank you for your message, we may want to reconsider that differentiation and unify measurements across our product lines moving forward.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about our 10 Gigabit Smart Managed switches (XS708T to XS748T); or 10 Gigabit Fully Managed Switches (such as M4300 series).

Regards,
Message 2 of 3
DFD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for confirming. I'm clear on the difference between the packet buffers in the different models I'm comparing now.

Many thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements