× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Same VLAN and Subnet, Cannot Ping

JeffAtK2
Guide

Same VLAN and Subnet, Cannot Ping

Hi All,

First, please be gentle, I'm just startung to venture into VLANs.

I'm trying to isolate some ports so they're on a completely separate network from my office LAN. I want to use it for backups and maintenance. I currently do this with a small 8-port unmanaged switch and no gateway. The NICs plugged into it have static IPs and I just mount shares via other static IPs and copy files. has worked well for years. Now I'd like to use this 10GB switch they let me buy.

I thought the best way to do this was VLANs. But when I set up a VLAN to use some of the ports and plug devices into them, they cannot ping each other. I'm not sure if I need to do something other than what's below since I'm not using a router or anything; just super-simple IP to IP. As long as they're plugged into the right ports, shouldn't they at least see each other?

Atatched pdf contains screenshots of my current vlan setup. I added a VLAN and set its ports to thre ones indicated. I removed those ports from the "Default vlan." Not sure what I'm misssing.

Thanks so much for any advice you could offer.

Jeff

Model: XSM4348S|M4300-24X24F - Stackable Managed Switch with 48x10G including 24x10GBASE-T and 24xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Same VLAN and Subnet, Cannot Ping

Create the 802.1q VLAN ID (assume already done), each port for that storage VLAN must be set [U]ntagged for that VLAN only, and the same ID must be used as PVID. That's it.

The reason why you can't ping the other devices with their static IP config is that the incoming ICMP ping might go to the wrong PVID - this is defining where incoming untagged frames are associated to (which VLAN).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Create the 802.1q VLAN ID (assume already done), each port for that storage VLAN must be set [U]ntagged for that VLAN only, and the same ID must be used as PVID. That's it.

The reason why you can't ping the other devices with their static IP config is that the incoming ICMP ping might go to the wrong PVID - this is defining where incoming untagged frames are associated to (which VLAN).

Message 2 of 3
JeffAtK2
Guide

Thank you! Setting the PVID for the ports in my backup network to matcch worked like a charm!

Jeff

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements