× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up a new XS712Tv2 switch for first time

bxs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Setting up a new XS712Tv2 switch for first time

I have the XS712Tv2 managed switch and all the setup documentation referes to having a Windows PC. The various utilities that can be donwloaded are also for a Windows PC with the suffix of "exe". Since I do not have a PC as my machines are all Apple Macs I'm a bit puzzled why NetGear thinks all users have PCs.

No matter, I'm needing somne advive here from people that were or are in a similar situation so I can move forward to manage and setup this new switch.

Thank you. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Re: Setting up a new XS712Tv2 switch for first time

Can't follow. The Smart Managed Pro Switch XS708T, XS712Tv2, and XS716T Installation Guide does - after the explanation of the DHCP availability - does start with "You can configure the switch either by using a computer’s web browser or by installing the Smart Control Center Utility on your Windows-based computer."

Spoiler

Configure the Switch

You can configure the switch either by using a computer’s web browser or by installing the Smart Control Center Utility on your Windows-based computer.

Web Browser Access

1. Connect the switch to your network.

2. For initial configuration, open a web browser on a computer that is on the same network and subnet as the switch and enter the switch’s IP address.

Message 2 of 11
bxs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you...

Will the default IP be 192.168.0.239 ? If so then using my Safari browser and entering this IP in the URL address bar should bring up the switche's web browser–based management interface for advanced setup and configuration of features, right ?

The User manual says "specify an IP address, subnet mas, and default gateway.

I assume the default subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 but what would the default gateway be ?

So I enter in the browser's URL address bar

192.168.0.239 followed by what ?

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Have read the intro of the Installation Guide?

The default IP address is only applicable if the switch is not connected to a network with a DHCP server. To keep the effort low, I suggest you to connect the switch to one of your router ports, or a network port connecting on another switch covered by a DHCP server. Then check the router DHCP table, sometimes named Attached Devices, or the router DHCP log for the IPv4 address assigned to the switch MAC address (printed on the label).
Message 4 of 11
bxs
Aspirant
Aspirant

The switch will be directly attached to a Mac machine which is not on any network.... so using the defauult IP appears to me to be the coirrect approach to getting the switch setup.

Yes, have read the Installation Guide.

Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

If it's on a direct Ethernet connection to the Mac ... macOS does default to a ZeroConfig network address (Windows does the same btw.).

You have to change the connected Ethernet interface temporarily to the 192.168.0.0/24 network (mask 255.255.255.0), randomly select an address different from .239, take for example 192.168.0.124, default gateway (irrelevant .1).

Now the default IP is reachable.
Message 6 of 11
bxs
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK.... thanks.... I will try that approach.

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Thank you for the push by the way - we have to remind Netgear to extend the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool (available fro Windows and macOS) to be extended to cover Smart Managed Pro switches, too @LaurentMa 8-)

Message 8 of 11
bxs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just curious to know if I simply power on the XS712Tv2 switch and do nothing except connect Cat7 cables will it work to forward data transfers to the various machines attached to it ?

Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Yes, the default configuration does allow using the switch out of the box. In a side effect, the switch will get an IP config assigned from the DHCP server so you are able to manage it.

Message 10 of 11
bxs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your very speedy response. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation