Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fast Roaming with Insight Premium

coljediv
Aspirant

Fast Roaming with Insight Premium

I have 3 WAC510s and have signed up for the 7-day free trial of Insight Premium.  I wanted to explore the Fast Roaming setting but I can't find it anywhere, nor can I find the new Access Control functionality.  Where is it?  Or is it not available on the free trial?

Message 1 of 8
SalauddinK
NETGEAR Expert

HI @coljediv

Fast roaming is a network level feature available during Free Trial, Navigate to Networks Tab > Wifi > Scroll down to see the Fast Roaming.

MAC ACL can be found at the Wireless SSID level, Navigate to Device (Access Point)> Wifi Networks > SSID > MAC Access Control.

Thanks,

Salauddin

Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@SalauddinK Fast Roaming (RRM, based on IEEE 802.11k) is a standard feature of the WAC505/WAC510, see for example the WAC505 User Manual p.37 ff. By default it's disabled why ever - to make a product "worse" for then non-experienced user base probably.

Said that, the Netgear customers have already paid for this feature along with the device price, and can enable it - as long as the WAC are in the fully manageable local management mode. There is no reason to play a feature game here - this control must be available to everyone therefore.

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @schumaku,

Just to clarify there is some difference in 802.11K (when AP is used in standalone mode) and Fast Roaming (OKC based) used in NETGEAR Insight Premium.

802.11k will assist a wifi client to choose the right AP while roaming, if the wifi client sees multiple AP's.
In Fast Roaming(OKC) it will assist the client to fast roam and reduce the time delay without making them go through complete over the air key exchanges, as the keys will be exchanged securely between the AP’s in the same network.
This will reduce the roaming delay to less than 100ms as compared to 400~500ms for a WPA2 enterprise security user.
It also assists the client in roaming between AP's without requiring re-authentication when a Captive Portal is used.

You are correct that 802.11K (RRM) feature is not available in NETGEAR Insight mobile app (regardless of subscription type), I will log a feature enahancement to request that 802.11K is added in a future release. Of course I can't offer an ETA or guarantee for this.

BTW... is there any particular use case for 802.11K feature that we could help with?

Regards
DavidGo

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Hello David,

@Retired_Memberwrote:

Just to clarify there is some difference in 802.11K (when AP is used in standalone mode) and Fast Roaming (OKC based) used in NETGEAR Insight Premium.

In Fast Roaming(OKC) it will assist the client to fast roam and reduce the time delay without making them go through complete over the air key exchanges, as the keys will be exchanged securely between the AP’s in the same network.

Yes, this makes perfect sense. Looking into the logs and the traffic does confirm OKC - cool!

@Retired_Member wrote:

You are correct that 802.11K (RRM) feature is not available in NETGEAR Insight mobile app (regardless of subscription type), I will log a feature enahancement to request that 802.11K is added in a future release. Of course I can't offer an ETA or guarantee for this.

Doesn't the Auto RRM feature make use of the 802.11k information available from the other APs in the reach?

-Kurt

Message 5 of 8
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Message 6 of 8
nsrxone
Aspirant

Thanks for your explaination., 
I would like to ask what is Mobility ID after I turn on Fast roaming? 

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @schumaku,

Just wish to inform you the feature request we raised to add 802.11k enable/disable option is available in the latest Insight mobile app release, version 4.0.14.

It is available when creating or editing a WiFi network.

Regards

DavidGo

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements