Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Smart Parental Controls don't block google search results (web and images)

CJK440
Tutor

Netgear Smart Parental Controls don't block google search results (web and images)

Long story short, I just purchased a subscription to Netgear smart parent controls and found that it does not block explicit results from google. Regular web results with explicit language still pop up and as does google image results. The links to the sites do get blocked but with google images unrestricted I am not sure that matters.

I do have the the smart search radio button set to green. What is wrong? 

I am only using the orbi app on my phone and have not installed any of the clients to my kids devices. Is this required? I figured the filter and the safe search should have done the job.

IIRC, I never had this issue with Circle, and part of the reason I upgraded to Orbi from my nighthawk because Netgear advertized Circle on the orbi, but auto update continues to get rid of it.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
CJK440
Tutor

Re: Netgear Smart Parental Controls don't block google search results (web and images)

I know time has passed but ultimately a factory reset did the trick. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Netgear Smart Parental Controls don't block google search results (web and images)

I can't help but notice that a full day has gone by with no response.  Alas, it appears to me that not very many customers participate in this community forum.  Either very few people have subscribed to the new Parental Controls or maybe none of them have issues? Since you have paid money to subscribe, it might be worth checking out Netgear's web page on support for subscription services.

It took some doing, but I was able to find a web page that listed "Parental Controls" as one of the choices.

p.s. I am no help because I have never activated Parental Controls. Both of my parents have passed away and I no longer have to monitor what they do on the internet. (sick humor)

Message 2 of 9
ellen2298
Apprentice

Were you ever able to get this resolved. SPC worked on the trial for me but after purchasing the premium and doing many maneuvers I can't get it to work anymore. Not sure if I should ask for a refund and get another system. I couldn't get Circle to work anymore after firmware update which happened to you too. Very frustrating as I really need/want some parental controls.

Message 3 of 9
IDraper
Tutor

I got SPC working with the Nighthawk and am able to monitor the kids as advertised.

However there ways to bypass the controls from the IPAD however I get an alert when this happens.

As recommended, it needs to be a partnership with the Child so they know why we are wanting to put limits and protection so that we get their full cooperation and they learn to have some self control.

Another thing to look at is modifying the DNS to something like OPENDNS which allows you to block sites by category and specific sites.

This will not capture google image searchs, but prevents users from going directly to the sites where the images came from.

Appart from this I suggest cultivate a great relationship with your kids and above all pray. 🙂

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@IDraper wrote:

Another thing to look at is modifying the DNS to something like OPENDNS which allows you to block sites by category and specific sites.

An educational opportunity (for me. I had assumed that SPC included this capability):

Aside from the problem that kids can simply set their devices to use any DNS servers they want, I would love to see a comparison between the blocking capability of OpenDNS and SPC.  Does one of them (but not the other) allow the subscriber to define (a) categproes of URL's, or (b) specific URL's that cannot be opened?

p.s. I also agree completely that frank discussions with minors about sensitive topics is essential.

Message 5 of 9
ellen2298
Apprentice

Glad it is still working for you. Sadly I am nowhere and the most basic functionality of usage and history isn't even working let alone any filtering, bedtimes etc. After being transferred twice and on hold for more than 2 hours I had to get off the phone last night. I am going to try again today but if no luck I guess I will have to cancel the subscription and go a different route. Are you aware of any way to get to advanced support to be able to help someone with an issue like mine?

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 9
CJK440
Tutor

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@CJK440 wrote:

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7