× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

4TB drives coming out....

enkrypt3d
Tutor

4TB drives coming out....

will these be compatible with my NVX Pioneer edition? I'm almost out of space on my 4 x 2TB drives... and going to 3TB drives really isn't worth it.... anyone know? Thx!
Message 1 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 4TB drives coming out....

There are no 4TB disks on the compatibility list at this time.

However I can see no reason why 4TB drives in general wouldn't work. Some models of 4TB drives may have compatibility issues so best to wait for drives to be added to the compatibility list.
Message 2 of 20
ian_uk
Aspirant

Hi,

It would really be nice to know what the score is with the 4TB drives. Tested, failed, pass and not tested, or is there other issues with them. A bit of feedback to us (the user) wouldn't go a miss.

Regards Ian.
Message 3 of 20
swamp2
Tutor

Bump, 4TB drive compatability (NVX Pioneer specifically). Thanks.

Edit: Also 4TB drives can be swapped in one at a time increasing storage each time over a 4x2TB set up correct?
Message 4 of 20
swamp2
Tutor

Bump.
Message 5 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Several people are using them, search the forum for specifics.

Shifting off the HCL can/will create issues getting support later - just something to keep in mind.

You can hot-swap them, though the usual expansion limits apply (no more than 8 TiB growth over the live of the volume, cannot expand over 16 TiB).
Message 6 of 20
swamp2
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
Shifting off the HCL can/will create issues getting support later - just something to keep in mind.

Sorry no idea what you mean here.

StephenB wrote:
You can hot-swap them, though the usual expansion limits apply (no more than 8 TiB growth over the live of the volume, cannot expand over 16 TiB).

So if I began with 2 1TB drives I would max out with 10 TB using 16TB of drives?

Thanks!
Message 7 of 20
StephenB
Guru

swamp2 wrote:
StephenB wrote:

Sorry no idea what you mean here.
HCL - "hardware compatibility list" http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641
Note the warning: Be sure to use only drives recommended in the compatibility list, otherwise, NETGEAR Technical Support can and will deny support.

StephenB wrote:

So if I began with 2 1TB drives I would max out with 10 TB using 16TB of drives?

Thanks![/quote]You seem to be mixing up the two constraints.
If you begin with 2x1TB, you start with a volume size of 1 TB. You can expand that to about 9 TB.

The 16 TiB ceiling is separate. If you start with 5x4TB, you'd have a 16 TB volume size with RAID-5/xraid single redundancy. You can't expand it any more.

These limits apply to 4.2.x systems and 5.3.x systems - they don't apply to the new OS6 products.
Message 8 of 20
swamp2
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
HCL - "hardware compatibility list" http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641
Note the warning: Be sure to use only drives recommended in the compatibility list, otherwise, NETGEAR Technical Support can and will deny support.

I did look there. No 4 TB drives listed in the HCL for the Pioneer NVX only 3 TB

StephenB wrote:
You seem to be mixing up the two constraints.
If you begin with 2x1TB, you start with a volume size of 1 TB. You can expand that to about 9 TB.

The 16 TiB ceiling is separate. If you start with 5x4TB, you'd have a 16 TB volume size with RAID-5/xraid single redundancy. You can't expand it any more.

These limits apply to 4.2.x systems and 5.3.x systems - they don't apply to the new OS6 products.

Got it that is more clear. I have a 4.2.x system. How can I check if I began with 2x1TB? I may have started fresh with 4x1TB since that point in time. Thanks again.
Message 9 of 20
StephenB
Guru

swamp2 wrote:
StephenB wrote:

I did look there. No 4 TB drives listed in the HCL for the Pioneer NVX only 3 TB
Understood. One downside of using them is that you could lose support.

swamp2 wrote:
How can I check if I began with 2x1TB? I may have started fresh with 4x1TB since that point in time. Thanks again.
Download the log files. initrd.log will tell you the time of the initial install/factory reset.

If you search expansion.log for "Extending logical volume c" you will see the various sizes (including the initial install).
Message 10 of 20
swamp2
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
swamp2 wrote:
If you search expansion.log for "Extending logical volume c" you will see the various sizes (including the initial install).

Thanks, only spotted one expansion, and can't seem to locate an initial size, which is the critical one...
Message 11 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps you deleted the log files at some point in the past?
Message 12 of 20
swamp2
Tutor

At some point, to work around a persistent problem with non-automatable backups I wiped the system and started fresh. However, since that point I don't think I wiped the logs. They go back to 2011.
Message 13 of 20
StephenB
Guru

If the expansion you are seeing is at that reset date, then it probably is the initial size.
Message 14 of 20
swamp2
Tutor

^ Unfortunately the occurrence of "Extending" was about 14 months after the first record in the log file. Bummer, it sure would be nice to be certain about the ultimate size limit (sans a wipe)...
Message 15 of 20
swamp2
Tutor

Bump. There surely must be a way to determine the initial total volume size (so that maximum expandable size can be determined).
Message 16 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Regrettably I don't know of one. If someone does, it'd be great to post it.
Message 17 of 20
swamp2
Tutor

Is there some educating guessing possible to determine my ultimate size limit? I hope to avoid a complete back up and restore and make the best financial plan for upgrading to 3TB or 4TB drives or some combination.

-Today I have 4 2TB drives. My system reports 81% of 5548 GB used.
-The only "Extending" line in my logs shows extending to 5.44TB
-I would guess this was adding a 4th 2TB drive to 3 existing 2TB drives?

Start with 3 x 2TB = ~4TB total storage
4 x 4TB = ~12TB total storage (~8TB greater than starting point)

It is totally fine to begin replacing 2TB drives one by one with 3TB drives, correct?

I will see more storage just replacing a single 2TB->3TB, correct? How much?
Even after largely filling a 4 x 3TB configuration, I could then proceed replacing with 4TB drives one by one?

Given the cost differential I think I'd like to proceed with the 3TB drives for now.

Thanks kindly!
Message 18 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Assuming single redundancy...

Inserting the first 3 TB drive you will see no increase.
Inserting the second 3 TB, you will see an increase up to about 6.37 TiB (~7 TB)
Replacing all 4 will bring you to about 8.18 TiB (~9 TB).

Often inserting larger drives is more cost effective.
For instance, at the moment a ST3000VN000 can be purchased in the US for about $130, and ST4000VN000 for about $170.

Adding 2 ST4000VN000 to your current array would cost $340. You need 3 ST3000VN000 to get the same volume increase - which would cost $390.
Message 19 of 20
swamp2
Tutor

^ Thank you kindly!
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements