× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home folder not visible over SMB

Faustus
Aspirant

Home folder not visible over SMB

I have the NAS set up so that it creates a home folder for a user when first logged in. However, when I view the available shares through a file manager over SMB, I see all the other shares, but not the home folder. Consequently, I can't mount it to use it. Over AFP the folder is visible, mountable, and usable. However, due to the fact that AFP has been deprecated, I don't want to use it.

Does anyone have an idea as to why the folder is'nt usable over SMB, and how I can possibly fix this? I'm using a Linux client to access the shares, if that is relevant.

Model: RN428|ReadyNAS 428 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bays
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Home folder not visible over SMB

What tool are you using to access the share? Are you certain you are using the correct credentials?

Note that you won't be mounting or accessing /home/username.  Home isn't exported as a mount point, so you just access username.

Message 2 of 7
Faustus
Aspirant

I'm using Thunar, that standard XFCE File Manager, to access the SMB shares. All other shares work just fine, and are detected when using the 'Browse Network' feature. The user's home folder doesn't show up at all.

When I try connecting to it directly, by modifying a mounted share's name in the address bar, I get a login prompt which fails saying the requested folder doesn't exist. I've verified that the credentials are correct multiple times. I've also tried it using case-sensitive and case-insensitive spelling. All fail.

The path I am using is smb://NAS-name/Username/ . I have veriefied that this folder exists by logging in with SSH and looking in the /data/home/ folder. It also shows up in the web GUI, and is interactable from there. And, as I said in my previous post, the share works over AFP.

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Use \\ReadyNAS\username resp. smb://ReadyNAS/username/ ... permitting the Linux file manager does automatically re-use the same credentials for all shared folders. Can't see anything wrong with your attempt...

[Edit] Are you using the same credentials for accessing the ReadyNAS shared folders by SMB? It's the first username used that is mapped to the internal /home/[username] folder when I have it right. 

On the ReadyNAS admin page, head to System -> Logs -> Connections to check.

Message 4 of 7
Faustus
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Use \\ReadyNAS\username resp. smb://ReadyNAS/username/ ... permitting the Linux file manager does automatically re-use the same credentials for all shared folders. Can't see anything wrong with your attempt...

The one in bold is the one I have been using. Works fine for all the other shares, but anything in home is unaccessible. It asks me for credentials every time, since I set it to forget them right after login, so I get prompted every time. That's how I know it's not a faulty credential reuse thing.

@schumaku wrote:

[Edit] Are you using the same credentials for accessing the ReadyNAS shared folders by SMB? It's the first username used that is mapped to the internal /home/[username] folder when I have it right. 

Yes, I'm using the same credentials. When I try it on this folder though, it specifically reports the folder doesn't exist, after the failed login. Which is weird, since I verified its exitence.

@schumaku wrote:

The logs only show an SMB connection by the user 'guest'. Weird, since I logged in with another user.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Well, this is all designed around the Windows world, where only one user authentication can be around between one SMB client and the server.

@Faustus wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

The logs only show an SMB connection by the user 'guest'. Weird, since I logged in with another user.

Suspect you are using some shared folders with the non-authenticated (aka. guest) access then. This might break the access to the home folder, as there isn't one for the guest account (that's the SAMBA-Linux mapping for a non-authenticated access). That's one of the reasons why newer WIndows builds by default no longer allow using the non-authenticated access. Ensure all shared folders you access are configured for access by a group (preferred for management simplicity) or a username.

Message 6 of 7
Faustus
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Suspect you are using some shared folders with the non-authenticated (aka. guest) access then. This might break the access to the home folder, as there isn't one for the guest account (that's the SAMBA-Linux mapping for a non-authenticated access). That's one of the reasons why newer WIndows builds by default no longer allow using the non-authenticated access. Ensure all shared folders you access are configured for access by a group (preferred for management simplicity) or a username.

That's what I thought too. So I decided to try out authenticating before accessing the discovered shares, by using smb://user_name:*@server_name in Thunar. Using this you get prompted for the user password before it goes on to the shares. Doing that, I can finally see the share for that user, but I can still no mount it. When I click on it to mount, it prompts me for credentials again, before failing and declaring the folder doesn't exist. Whe I do it like this the logs show the username has a connection over SMB

I've also checked all the permission for the shares. They are all set to a specific group, anonymous access is disabled. Not that it matters, since I still can't mount it even if I see it while authenticated, and I can't set permissions for that folder (the OS doesn't allow setting permissions for the home folders in the web GUI). SSH confirms that the folder owner is correct, and has all permissions for it.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements