× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 plex media server installation fails

BionicManster
Aspirant

RN214 plex media server installation fails

RN214, loaded with 8TB disks in RAID5 configuration, 21.82 TB total storage space. Firmware 6.10.3.

I attempted to load the Plex Media Server both from the Featured Apps page and by downloading it directly. Both failed, "annapurna cannot be installed." Screenshot attached shows the error message of attempting to install from Featured Apps.

I'd appreciate a clue as to what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 11
BionicManster
Aspirant

Re: RN214 plex media server installation fails

I went about it another way, logging in to plex.tv and creating an account first. It took me to a page to download the server software, but instead of downloading, I went back to my RN214 and attempted the install from Featured Apps. This time it worked.

Error in the directions, maybe? (i.e. Set up plex.tv account first then install app?)

Appreciate any further information, but I think the issue is solved.

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@BionicManster wrote:

Error in the directions, maybe? 

I don't think so.  There was a problem with the Netgear distribution server (which was denying access to the needed files).  All app installs were failing.  Note that server is accessed even if you do the manual install from plex.tv/downloads.

Netgear fixed the problem on their end, and that must have happened between your first and second attempts.

There are several threads complaining about the problem, including this one: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/RN214-Can-t-install-apps-after-a-fa...

@BionicManster wrote:

I went back to my RN214 and attempted the install from Featured Apps.

I suggest checking the version of plex, and making sure you have the most recent.   The version in Featured Apps is a couple of years old (Netgear should really remove it).  Plex decided some time ago that they wanted to distribute it themselves via plex.tv/downloads.

Message 3 of 11
BionicManster
Aspirant

I suggest checking the version of plex, and making sure you have the most recent. The version in Featured Apps is a couple of years old (Netgear should really remove it).

You were absolutely right. The version I was loading, from Featured Apps, was 1.11.3.4803. The version I got from Plex is 1.20.3.3437. Thanks!

However now I have the same problem as a similar poster. Even though I am launching the app from my server, it refuses to find the server itself as an available server. Clicking on
+ You Media

takes me to the software download page.

This is the admin page on my NAS

PlexSvr.pngScreenshot from 2020-10-20 08-48-27.pngThis is what I get when I launch the server. 192.168.1.248 is the IP address of my NAS. The Firefox device shown appears to be from my NAS. I haven't accesst Plex from anything else. Note that it wants me to get the server software.Screenshot from 2020-10-20 08-47-49.png

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Do you have internet security software running on the PC?

When you click on the "home" icon, do you see a tools icon in the upper right (it will say settings when you mouse over it)?

If you do, try clicking it, and see if your device is shown in the right pane.  If it is there, click on "libraries" (under Manage).

Message 5 of 11
BionicManster
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Do you have internet security software running on the PC?

When you click on the "home" icon, do you see a tools icon in the upper right (it will say settings when you mouse over it)?

If you do, try clicking it, and see if your device is shown in the right pane.  If it is there, click on "libraries" (under Manage).

How do you turn off quote?

My computer runs Linux Mint. Security is Adblock (turned off for internal network) and NoScript (also turned off for internal network.) No other security is present.

Clicking on Settings icon gives the attached page. It does show the IP address of my RN214 which seems to confirm the server is running the Plex software, just not finding that it is a Plex Media Server.

I clicked on every button on the left pane, and I cannot find Libraries or Manage.

Thanks for answering. Any other ideas?

Message 6 of 11
BionicManster
Aspirant

Clicking on on Authorized Devices does show an entry 5 minutes ago, which of course is when I launched Plex to see if any of your suggestions would fix the issue. Only one device is shown, and that's either the server itself or the computer I'm using as a terminal into the server. Here's the screenshot.

Message 7 of 11
BionicManster
Aspirant

I previously had DLNA turned on. In looking through the help articles, it said to turn it off, so I did. Should I remove and reinstall Plex Media Server, on the chance that the problem will be fixed? Here's the System page from my server confirming that Plex Media Server is loaded. Of course, clicking on it is what gives me the browser that I took the previous screenshots from.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@BionicManster wrote:

Should I remove and reinstall Plex Media Server, on the chance that the problem will be fixed?

Might be worth a try.

Message 9 of 11
BionicManster
Aspirant

Couldn't remove it, but then I thought to load the earlier version from the Featured Apps. It replaced the RN214 version, and I was able to remove that. Rebooted again just to make sure everything was OK. Installed the RN214 version I downloaded from Plex.

Inbetween times I set up my computer (Thunderbird) as a Plex Media Server. When I launched Plex on my NAS, it still wasn't working as a Plex Server, but I went to the Authorized Devices page and got this:

Note that my computer (which doesn't have gobs of file storage space) is now a Plex Media Server, while the only thing I can do with the NAS is use it as a player.

I don't suppose you have any other ideas. But thanks for trying to help.

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@BionicManster wrote:

while the only thing I can do with the NAS is use it as a player.

No, it can't be used as a player.  Your firefox browser is listed as a player (twice), but not the NAS.

There can be issues with claiming a plex media server in your account, and that seems closer to what is happening here.  I suggest pursuing it in the plex forums.

Though it is odd that you couldn't uninstall it from the NAS.  You should have been able to do that w/o problems.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements