× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN2304 - Unit stops responding when unlocking encrypted volume

OLBJAN
Aspirant

RN2304 - Unit stops responding when unlocking encrypted volume

So I haven't been in here in quite a while but am looking for some help now:

TL'DR: My NAS stops responding to ping when trying to unlock the encrypted volume my data lives on.

Long version:

- ReadyNAS 2304 running 6.10.2

- 4x Seagate Ironwolf disks

- One RAID5 data volume encrypted via ReadyNAS OS and using a usb key with the data.key file on it.

- Some data has snapshots on it (hint: I guess this might be some of my problem)

What happened is that apparently disk 2 out of my four drives failed and took along with it some other important stuff. I wasn't able to access the NAS via admin frontend or SSH and it stopped responding to ping maybe 30s of responding after having been turned on.

I've figured out that with the USB key out of the system the NAS at least got as far as to allow me SSH access after about 10 minutes of waiting and I used that access to figure out I had a bad disk. I've since removed the bad drive and am waiting for a replacement disk but that's for another day.

Using the boot menu I managed the OS reinstall which did get me back to a working frontend and welcomed me with an email about being unable to unlock the encrypted volume. I did lose ssh access though when reinstalling the OS and can't reenable that.

The NAS crashing when I insert the USB key with the data.key file is persisting though - I've tried multiple USB keys and have verified the data.key file against my secure backup.

I've also attached an external screen to see if I can watch the boot process but unfortunately there seems to be nothing for me to look at.

I'm thinking I may need to go get myself a golden ticket for support. Or has anyone here got an idea what else I can try?

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements