× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Restoring Backed Up Files

Apota4U
Tutor

ReadyNAS Restoring Backed Up Files

So, I've been backing up all my files from all of my computers on my home network using the ReadyCLOUD app. I purchased a new computer and I need to copy all the files from the ReadyNAS to the new PC. The only option I can see for transfering the files from the ReadyNAS to the new PC is right clicking on the file name and then click on DOWNLOAD. But I can only download one file at a time and I need to download thousands of files. This will take me years to do. I must be doing something wrong. I selected all the files in the folder and then clicked on download and then it makes me click SAVE AS for every file one at a time. So, that's the same problem. If they are all in a sub-folder then I can click on the folder name and click on download and it's creates a zip file and downloads all the files in the one folder in one zip file, but that won't work in this case because all the files are in the main folder off the backup folder and it won't like you do it for those folders only sub-folders off that folder. Can someone please help me? Thank you so much for all your help and time. 

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Apota4U
Tutor

Re: ReadyNAS Restoring Backed Up Files

I actually figured it out already. You use the ReadyCloud app to restore it to any computer you want. You select the backup folder you want to copy to the computer you are logged into and you choose the sync option for that folder and it copies all the files from that folder to your netgear folder for that user that's logged in data location.  

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Can you access the ReadyCloud backup share directly using File Explorer? For instance, enter \\nas-ip-address into the file explorer address bar (using the real NAS IP address of course).  Be careful on the slash direction ( // will open your browser).

If you can't see the backup share in the File Explorer folder list , then you can try using the NAS admin credentials to access the NAS data volume, that will let you see the full data volume.

For instance run CMD on the windows system and enter:

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real NAS IP address and admin password of course.  Again, be very careful on the typing (both spaces and slash direction).

The first command ends any open network sessions on the PC.  The second mounts the data volume on the NAS as drive letter T on the PC.  If you use FlexRAID, the data volume might have a different name.

Message 2 of 11
Apota4U
Tutor

Thanks for the info. I'll try that. What's FlexRaid? Is that something I should be using? I also can't remember my Admin password and I tried using the password recovery feature but that didn't work for some reason either, so I'm not sure how to reset the password. Any help with that? Thanks!
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Apota4U wrote:
What's FlexRaid? Is that something I should be using? 

Likely not something you should be using.  FlexRaid gives you more options on setting up the RAID array.  XRAID is the best option for most users.

@Apota4U wrote:
 I also can't remember my Admin password and I tried using the password recovery feature but that didn't work for some reason either,

You can do an OS reinstall from the boot menu.  See pages 50-52 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

That resets your NAS admin password to password. The network setting will change back to DHCP with no bonding (likely what it is already), and volume quota will be turned off (you can turn it on again using the settings wheel next to the volume on the volume tab).

You will need to change the password before you use the commands in the previous post.

Since anyone who knows how, can reset the password if they have physical access to tthe NAS, I suggest writing down the admin password and taping it to the inside of the front cover on the NAS.

Message 4 of 11
Apota4U
Tutor

Doing what you suggested to reset my password doesn't erase my data does it? It only changes what you said it does? Thanks again!

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Apota4U wrote:

Doing what you suggested to reset my password doesn't erase my data does it? 

It won't erase your data.  A factory default would, so be careful not to do that.

Message 6 of 11
Apota4U
Tutor

Can I just move the ReadyNAS next to the computer and use the USB cable instead over the network to restore the data? Will I be able to do that without needing a passoword? I assume it has a USB port on the back? Let me know. Thanks.  ....Steve

Message 7 of 11
Apota4U
Tutor

I followed the instructions for the OS Reinstall but I must be doing something wrong because I tried Admin, Password and it doesn't work and I also tried admin, password. So, I'm not sure what to do now. Thanks.

Message 8 of 11
Apota4U
Tutor

Okay, I got it reset and I can log in but I've got the same problem that I had with ReadyCloud. The only way I can get the files is to use the Download option and it's making me Save As for every file I want to copy. I guess this wasn't the best way to backup. I guess I should have used the backup option, but I couldn't get that working when I first installed the ReadyNas and this is how Netgear told me how to set it up. Maybe I need to figure out how to do the regular backups and maybe that will work with restoring the data better? Thanks again for your help.  ....Steve

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Apota4U wrote:

The only way I can get the files is to use the Download option and it's making me Save As for every file I want to copy.e

What happens when you access it with file explorer???

Message 10 of 11
Apota4U
Tutor

I actually figured it out already. You use the ReadyCloud app to restore it to any computer you want. You select the backup folder you want to copy to the computer you are logged into and you choose the sync option for that folder and it copies all the files from that folder to your netgear folder for that user that's logged in data location.  

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements