× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas and Asus RT-AT3200 Router

Turbogutten
Aspirant

ReadyNas and Asus RT-AT3200 Router

• My old router just died, and I bought a Asus RT-AC3200 router and updated it to latest firmware.

I hooked up my Netgear ReadyNas Duo to the new routers lan port and powered it on.

The Netgear ReadyNas Duo is set up to automatically recieve ip adress through DHCP from the router, but it does not show up as a detected unit in the Asus RT-AC3200 admin page, and I am not able to detect it on network or by RaidAr program?

I thought this router provided easy "plug and play" features, or Is it just not possible to connect a ReadyNas Duo to this router ?

Are there any settings in the Asus router I will have to do ?

I have no problem accessing the ReadyNas Duo when connecting directly to a computer, restarting it, and then use the default login ip 192.168.168.168/admin set by ReadyNas when not recieving automatically ip by DHCP

I'm a bit stuck here and hope someone can help.

Regards

Tony Pedersen

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: ReadyNas and Asus RT-AT3200 Router

Hi @Turbogutten

If your old router was and new router is not using the same ip address (ipv4, I assume), your nas is still in love with it's retired old buddy and is looking for the the router under that old ip address.

so, please check in the network configuration of the nas, whether the correct ip address of the new router is specified.

happy fixing and kind regards

Message 2 of 15
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Turbogutten

Welcome to the Community!

Have you checked if there's any issue with the cable? or if the NIC LED indicator lights up? Do other devices get DHCP address from the router?

You may want to check with Asus' Support regarding settings.

Regards

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Turbogutten wrote:

I'm a bit stuck here and hope someone can help.

The workaround would be to assign the duo a static address. A trickier one is to use 192.168.168.x as the LAN subnet, and reserve 192.168.168.168 to the NAS.  Then a DHCP failure would still end up with the NAS using the same IP address. However, it is better to just use DHCP, so hopefully you can get it to work.

In addition to checking the cabling, you should also

• try a different switch port in the router
  • try putting a switch between the NAS and the router
  • look for a setting in the router to turn off the "green network" feature for ethernet

You could also try removing/reinserting the ethernet cable after the NAS is booted, just to see if the DHCP issue occurs only when the NAS is booting.

Message 4 of 15
Turbogutten
Aspirant

UPDATE

I was not able to fix my problem trying all sugestions from Asus support, so I returned the Asus router and bought a new Netgear X6S router instead. And now I am really fustrated, because I have exactly the same problem using the new Netgear router.

When conecting through the router, the Nic Light is on both the router and the NAS,  indicating that they are conected, but the NAS is not detected by the RaidAr and do not show up at the routers network map . 

When conecting directly through my laptops Lan port RaidAr detects the NAS, and I can browse the NAS and and also log into and use the Frontwiev admin page.

The NAS network interface IPv4 is set up to "use value from a DHCP server", but even so it seems like it is not obtaining ip adress from the router, or if it is it will not connect to the router/network.

I also just tried a OS reinstall (but I am not quite sure if that went through since RAIDiator firmware is still 4.1.16 after reinstall).

What could possibly be wrong here ? Everything was working just fine before my old Netgear X4 router died.

Anyone ? ?

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Turbogutten wrote:

I also just tried a OS reinstall (but I am not quite sure if that went through since RAIDiator firmware is still 4.1.16 after reinstall).

It would be the same, since every time you install firmware the NAS also updates it's flash.

The OS reinstall will reset the admin password to netgear1, so watch out for that.

@Turbogutten wrote:

When conecting directly through my laptops Lan port RaidAr detects the NAS, and I can browse the NAS and and also log into and use the Frontwiev admin page.

Are you seeing negotiation of a gigabit network?

If you are, I think the next step is to set a static IP address in the NAS, and see if that works when you connect the NAS to the router.

Message 6 of 15
Turbogutten
Aspirant

Yes, I was aware of the password reset. 

I tried to set static IP adress when troubleshooting and connecting to the Asus router, but that did not help either...... so I guess it will be the same with the X6S. And I never had to set a static ip on the NAS when it was connected to the Netgear X4. Just plugged the NAS in to the X4 and it received ip adress from the router and showed up immediately.

Not sure what You mean by "Are you seeing negotiation of a gigabit network?" 

Is there any chance there is something permanently wrong with the NAS? If that is the case, I do not understand why I am able to find and browse the NAS when connecting directly through the laptop but not through the router ?

I hoped to avoid a factory reset of the NAS, as I will lose all settings and the 1,5 TB of data stored on the disks. I will then have to download all the data from my sky-backup solution and

set up the NAS share-roules again, and that will take ages...... 

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Turbogutten wrote:

Not sure what You mean by "Are you seeing negotiation of a gigabit network?" 

When you are directly connected to your PC, and browse to the admin UI, you should be able to see the speed of the ethernet link.

On a Duo v1, it would be on the network->interfaces screen.   It should tell you 1 Gbit/full duplex. 

@Turbogutten wrote:

Is there any chance there is something permanently wrong with the NAS? 

I don't think there isn't anything wrong with the hardware, since you can access it via the direct connect.

@Turbogutten wrote:

I hoped to avoid a factory reset of the NAS, as I will lose all settings and the 1,5 TB of data stored on the disks. I will then have to download all the data from my sky-backup solution and

set up the NAS share-roules again, and that will take ages...... 

Well, you could also get a USB drive, and offload the data when the NAS is directly connected to the PC.  That will probably be much faster than restoring from the cloud.

Do you have a spare disk that you aren't using?  You could try removing the Duo's drives (labeling them by slot), and do a factory install with only the spare disk installed.  If that connects properly to your network, it rules out any hardware issue.

Message 8 of 15
Turbogutten
Aspirant

Thank You for fast replies, Stephen B. I really appreciate it!

Interface Screen on NAS do not say 1GB, it says online / 10mb / Full-duplex

I have now cleared up a 2TB external HD, re-formatted it and has started to copy the NAS content over to de ExHD. That will take som hours I see......

I do not have any spare 2TB disk to put in the NAS, but I have already done the procedure with removing one HD from slot restarting and then put it back and restaring, so the 2 HD's are syncronized and status says healty on both HD's so there should be nothing wrong with the HD's.

The thing that worries me most is if there is something wrong with the NAS hardware, but as You say, probably not since I can connect the NAS to my laptop.

Is there any chance there is a software "hang-up" that will be restored if factory reset ? Have You heared of this problem and solution before ?

I still hope there might be a solution without having to factory reset the NAS, but as I am now backing it up, I'm prepared for the worst. Hopefully the backup will proceed without any errors. I'll give You an update when I wake up in the morning and the backup should be complete!

Message 9 of 15
Turbogutten
Aspirant

NAS is now backed up to the external HD with now problems, but before doing a factory reset I think I will try to asign the NAS a static IP again.

The Netgear X6S Router DHCP ip assign is set to: Starting IP: 10.0.0.2 and Endig Ip:  10.0.0.254

I will the set static IP: 10.0.0.168 in the NAS and reserve this adress + NAS mac adress in the Router, and that should be it,  or ? ?

Do I have do do some more settings in the router or NAS ?

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Turbogutten wrote:

Interface Screen on NAS do not say 1GB, it says online / 10mb / Full-duplex

That suggests to me that you either have a bad cable or a hardware problem with the ethernet port on the NAS.

Are you using CAT-5E or CAT-6 ethernet cables?

Message 11 of 15
bedlam1
Prodigy

on the NAS I would set the NAS network card to "Use DHCP" and remove the static 10.0.0.168 entry, also Disable IPv6 and check your DNS server addresses are present

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Turbogutten wrote:

I will the set static IP: 10.0.0.168 in the NAS and reserve this adress + NAS mac adress in the Router, and that should be it,  or ? ?

It's a good idea to reserve the address in the router.

There's no point in setting a static address before the factory reset, since the reset will undo it.  The OS is installed onto the disks again, and all the settings are saved on the disks.  So don't do that, instead just see if the reset takes care of the issue.

As noted before, the 10 mb/s ethernet speed does suggest either a hardware problem (cable or ethernet port).  So you should troubleshoot that.

Message 13 of 15
Turbogutten
Aspirant

Poor explanation from me.......

I wanted to try to set static IP in NAS / Netgear Router one more time before I did a factory reset, but NAS did not show up as expected.

The cable I use is from a workin unit so that should be OK, but I also tried a new one now with same result, only 10mb...

I'm now trying the factory reset. If that does not help I think there might be a hardware error with the NAS ethernet port and then I guess it is "game over" for the NAS ?

As I am busy with other things this evening, I'm not able to try the factory reset before tomorrow, but I will give You a update when it is done.....

Message 14 of 15
Turbogutten
Aspirant

Well, the factory reset did not help, and it feels like I am in a dead end street here.....

Probably no point using more time on troubleshooting this NAS.

I think the conclusion must be that there is a irreparable error with the NAS ethernet port, and I asume  there is no "quick fix" for that, so the NAS is probably ready for disposal.

I guess I'll just start looking for a new NAS as soon as possible.

Thanks for all help!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements