× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WD Red 8TB WD80EFZX working on ReadyNAS Ultra 2

weinelm
Tutor

WD Red 8TB WD80EFZX working on ReadyNAS Ultra 2

Hi, just to let anyone who is interested know, I upgraded the disks in my Ultra 2 to 2x WD Red 8TB. I'm running OS 6.5.0. The array resynced and the volume expanded to 8TB as expected. Seems to be working so far.

My only slight disappointment is that the disks are substantially nosier than the Seagate 4TB NAS HDDs that they replaced. Probably will move my NAS so it's not on a shelf at head height.

Model: ReadyNASRNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WD Red 8TB WD80EFZX working on Ultra 2

Hello Weinelm,

Thank you for sharing your resolution and/or workaround. We appreciate your contribution to the community!

Feel free to post any suggestions, questions, recommendations or anything about your NAS that you think needs attention or will help others.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: WD Red 8TB WD80EFZX working on ReadyNAS Ultra 2

@weinelm wrote:

My only slight disappointment is that the disks are substantially nosier than the Seagate 4TB NAS HDDs that they replaced. Probably will move my NAS so it's not on a shelf at head height.

The WD80EFZX actually has excellent noise specs, so this is a bit odd. Seek noise is a bit higher than the Seagate 4 TB, but idle noise is less.  The ones I have installed are quiet.

Message 3 of 5
weinelm
Tutor

Yes it is the seek noise that's very noticeable. Previously with the Seagate drives I had to check the light to see if the drive was doing something, now I can easily hear it "ticking" away.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The seek noise is 3 db louder than the Seagates, but I am wondering if the real issue is the delta between idle and seek.  With the seagates, the noise spec is pretty constant (really no change between idle and seek), but there is a 9 db increase in the WD80EFRX between idle and seek noise.

Either way, if it bothers you, moving the NAS is likely the simplest solution.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements