× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WD30EZRX Any problems ?

Jobbigvolvo
Aspirant

WD30EZRX Any problems ?

Its not on the official compatibility list ofc, but im hoping thats just a matter of time.
Tho a confirmation from someone thats actually tried one would be much appreciated.
This is for an Ultra4 plus with fresh firmware btw.
I'd get the officially approved if possible ofc, but manufacturers change versions faster then they get tested it seems.

/Regards
Message 1 of 41
Tes1
Aspirant

I'm planing on getting a Ultra 6 Plus, and using this disks.
For some reson they are cheaper then the WD30EZRS or the shop only have the WD30EZRX (Depending on where I look)

So it would be nice to know if they works, before I buy some of them
Message 2 of 41
Claus42
Aspirant

i am using two of the WD30EZRX in a Ultra 6 (together with two WD20EARS) since two weeks. They are running. I used the wdidle tool to change the idletime to 300 s.
No abnormal behaviour since adding the WD30EZRX
Message 3 of 41
Jobbigvolvo
Aspirant

Added 2xWD30EZRX without issues.
Apart from ofc the need to set wdidle3 and in theory voiding the warranty on the drives....
Strange that its needed tbh, qnap does not have this problem.
I'm sure its an easy fix if netgear bothered.
Message 4 of 41
chek
Aspirant

Hi all,

I am using one of WD30EZRX (modified with wdidle3) in a Ultra 4 and there are continuous crackles, is it normal?
Message 5 of 41
Jobbigvolvo
Aspirant

Crackling sounds does not sound normal Chek.
Are you sure its from the WD30EZRX disk ?
In my experiencs it sounde exactly like all other current WD disks, i.e not at all unless you are really close.

Anyways, I added 2 more WD30EZRX (making 4 now) to my U4+.
It's currently restriping (takes 9 hours...) and so far it looks good.

This time I was a good boy and did a proper backup before starting the adding process.
Funny that a backup takes way less time then adding a disk.
It would probably be faster to just add both new drives (wiping all data) and restore it from backup.
Not as data safe tho.
Message 6 of 41
siamsquare
Guide

I have one running test on my ReadyNAS Pro Business edition, infact I was mistaken when buying...thought I was buying a ZRS but bought a ZRX instead.
Been running without any problems for a month now in JBOD configuration!

gr33tz
Message 7 of 41
NASable
Aspirant

I went with 3 in my Ultra 4+, picked up for $109 on Amazon. Modified with "WDIDLE3 /s0" and they've been working perfectly so far, though it's only been a week. I'll repost if/when I run into issues... but at this point, I'm not expecting any.
Message 8 of 41
k1llah3rtz
Aspirant

Been running 4 x WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 in my NVX for the last 2 weeks... no problems so far.

Had an initial error during factory default reset device present an ERR: Partitioning Error (or something like that) however, repeated the factory reset and it was fine building an XRAID2 array.

Using wdidle3 I've actually disabled the timeout and have the NVX spin-down the disks after 5 minutes... (no idea if this is actually ok for the disk )
Message 9 of 41
rwolfe12
Aspirant

Hi,

I read (not here) that this drive (WD30EZRX) is the replacement for the WD30EZRS, and I have one I am about to crack open but I am reading this thread and see numerous references to setting the idle timer using a "wdidle" tool. I am guessing that if the NAS has its own tool for this the two may conflict with each other?

I am not an IT person, but know my chops in my area of technical expertise, which this is not. Can somebody please help me understand whether I need to do this to prevent some known issue, or should I just plug this in and let it configure itself? I am going to be using this for a home media server, but I doubt that matters.

I am going to be using this with a Ready Nas Ultra 4 Plus, or at least that's the plan.

The tool sounds like a Linux command? I am running Windows 7 to manage this box, and probably occasionally from a Mac as well. Is there a way to set this idle time from one of those if it's required?

Thanks in advance. I haven't installed this yet as I thought I should ask some experts before I end up with a FUBAR NAS.
Ron
Message 10 of 41
NASable
Aspirant

The tool is a self-standing tool (boots on it's own) and is supplied directly from Western Digital. It modifies/configures the firmware on the hard drive to not spin down during idle periods. The ReadyNAS does not do anything with firmware on the drive, so there's no need to worry about conflicts. I can't say I've ever tried installing a drive without running the tool, but based on what I've read, it will run into problems eventually as the ReadyNAS doesn't give the drive enough time to wake up before erroring out - and with it trying to write to all drives at the same time, you're asking for problems.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download ... 09&sid=113
Message 11 of 41
rwolfe12
Aspirant

Thank you NASable. I followed your link to the tool, and will see if I can find a download for the same utility that is the right one for my drive. There was a big cautionary message about not using it on any drives not on the list.

Physically, do I need to put the drive into my PC to do this? That's what it seems to imply, but I'll go get the tool first and do a little RTFM.

Cheers,
Ron
Message 12 of 41
rwolfe12
Aspirant

I went to WD's comparable page for my drive (the Caviar Green 3TB Model WD30EZRX) and it does not show a similar tool. Hmmmm.

Here is what is listed:
•Acronis True Image WD Edition
•Advanced Format Software
(Only for Windows XP users with WD Advanced Format Drives)
•Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS
•Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
•Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

I guess I'll give it a try without changing anything and see how things go.
Message 13 of 41
gabort
Aspirant

OK, so what's the deal with the WD30EZRX drives? They're still not on the compatibility list.

What makes this more serious than before, is that the previous model (without the 6Gb Sata) is now no longer available.

Time has not stopped NetGEAR, try and do something about this please!
Message 14 of 41
tcdmail
Aspirant

+1, please verify if this drive is compatible or not as told above the previous model can't be bought anymore.
Message 15 of 41
PeterKocic
Aspirant

+1 I'm about to order and can only order EZRX so have to go with that :S
Message 16 of 41
PeterKocic
Aspirant

Well

Here's what I did.

I bought 4 x EZRX discs and I set up my new Ultra 6+ with zero problems so far.

It's amazing how quiet the Ultra 6 is and there's no noise what so ever from the discs.

I've used wdidle3.exe /d

I'll keep you posted here if anything changes.
Message 17 of 41
Vuzrak
Aspirant

Is widdle a requirement because I don't currently have access to a machine with a sata connection to run it.
Message 18 of 41
Amien
Aspirant

Vuzrak wrote:
Is widdle a requirement because I don't currently have access to a machine with a sata connection to run it.

I would like to know this too
Message 19 of 41
sdchew
Aspirant

WD30EZRX Any problems ?

I'm running the 2 TB version (WD20EARX) for about 7 months now. No issues whatsoever. Curious about whether the idle setting is needed too. Or is it unique to the 3 TB drives? Note that I don't enable spin down on the NAS
Message 20 of 41
Amien
Aspirant

sdchew wrote:
I'm running the 2 TB version (WD20EARX) for about 7 months now. No issues whatsoever. Curious about whether the idle setting is needed too. Or is it unique to the 3 TB drives? Note that I don't enable spin down on the NAS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqY5zlCXQmU

this explains it very good
Message 21 of 41
sdchew
Aspirant

Amien wrote:
sdchew wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqY5zlCXQmU

this explains it very good

YIKES! I looked at my SMART data on my hard disk. 2 of them are in there for 7 months and have over 500k load cycles. The last hard disk was installed about 2 months ago and is fast hitting 270k. In comparison, my laptop hard disk which has been in use for 2 years, has about 5k load cycle.

Going to disable the idle timer later tonight.
Message 22 of 41
Amien
Aspirant

i just did it .. bought the ultra 4 incl 3x 3TB WD .. compant where i bought these disks was so kind to do a wdidle/d for me on all three disks. so far so good!
Message 23 of 41
sdchew
Aspirant

Anyone ever considering running this linux tool after SSH into the NAS and doing it there directly?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/idle3-tools/
Message 24 of 41
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements