Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Genie Network Map -- blue / purple lines?

sarachan
Follower

Genie Network Map -- blue / purple lines?

We have an R7000 Nighthawk router, and although we have 6-8 wifi devices in our home, we do want to minimize wifi signals as much as possible to mitigate any possible health risks, such as not having unneeded wifi signals overnight, for example.  In the Genie app Network Map, there are a lot of wifi connections shown with dashed blue / purple lines.  What is the meaning of those lines?  I understand they are wifi connections, but does the color indicate that they are not currently active?  Are active connections always shown in green, or are some of the blue / purple lines active also?

Thanks for any information!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Pluto8
Apprentice

Re: Genie Network Map -- blue / purple lines?

The dashed lines indicate wireless connections, while solid lines are wired connections.

Exception: If you have an access point wired to the router, wireless clients connected to the access point are shown with solid lines when looking at the map from the router side. But if you log in to the access point (my access point is also an R7000) and look at the map, they will be dashed, while wireless clients on the router side would be solid lines.

Green lines (as far as I can see on my maps) are from the device you are using and from the router to the internet.

Message 2 of 5
crsmith
Aspirant

Pluto8 thanks for the info.  I have not found a definition for Blue/purple lines.  Can you or anyone else help?

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@crsmith wrote:

Pluto8 thanks for the info.  I have not found a definition for Blue/purple lines.  Can you or anyone else help?

Anything different from the green ones (explained above) is blue/purple.

Updated Genie App on iOS and Android has already chanved this not very meaningful colour scheme - all white lines on blue background. Convinced the Windows/macOS Genie will follow soon.

Message 4 of 5
William10a
Master

@sarachan wrote:

We have an R7000 Nighthawk router, and although we have 6-8 wifi devices in our home, we do want to minimize wifi signals as much as possible to mitigate any possible health risks, such as not having unneeded wifi signals overnight, for example.  In the Genie app Network Map, there are a lot of wifi connections shown with dashed blue / purple lines.  What is the meaning of those lines?  I understand they are wifi connections, but does the color indicate that they are not currently active?  Are active connections always shown in green, or are some of the blue / purple lines active also?

Thanks for any information!

If you want to limit your possible health risk you could turn the wifi off at night unless you have devices that are wifi connected and needed over night as even if no devices using wifi at night the  router is still transmitting so turning off the radios would the best way to reduce your risk at lease from your own router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7