Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hint: ReadySHARE USB Printer MAC_V2.36: add "IP" printer works where "Standard&qu

gensym
Tutor

Hint: ReadySHARE USB Printer MAC_V2.36: add "IP" printer works where "Standard" does not

In the hope this may be of relevance/help for macOS users:

This note specifically is about getting an HP Deskjet F2480 USB printer connected to a R7800 Nighthawk X4 to work as network printer using ReadySHARE USB Printer MAC_V2.36 through setting the printer up as "IP" printer in the "Printers and Scanners" preferences pane (where adding it as standard printer would only lead to print jobs ending up stuck with a "Connection to printer established" message).

My hope would for this to be of use for other printer/manufacturer (and/or router) models, too.

Given the current unstable status of Desktop Genie (Version 2.4.22 crashes -- seemingly haphazardly? -- on macos Sierra), I resorted to ReadySHARE USB Printer MAC_V2.36, so as to at least achieve network printing -- if not AirPrint interoperability …-- for my legacy USB printer.

The ReadySHARE USB Printer MAC software installed OK, and the "Printers and Scanners" preferences readily spotted the USB-printer connected to the router, allowing to define a new printer the standard way. However, jobs submitted to this printer would all end up stuck, with the PrinterProxy queue only reporting a "Connection to printer established." status message.

In what as proven a working set-up, I defined the new printer (that is still connected to a USB port of the R7800 router) through the manual "Add Printer or Scanner…" option offered in the pop-up menu of the "+" sign in the "Printer and Scanner", and then choosing "IP" (rather than "Standard") printer;  -- see the annotated screenshot, below -- apologies for the German (translation: "Hinzufügen" = add; "Warteliste" = print queue).

I do of course remain available for any follow-up questions.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-01 um 19.50.56.png

PS: a request to the local sysadmins: I failed to identify a meaningful "Label" to mandatorily assign to this posting, and for lack of any good option resorted to specifying "Genie": Would you perhaps e.g. consider adding "ReadyShare USB" to the list of labels?

Model: ReadySHARE USB Printer|Convert your USB printer into a network printer
Message 1 of 3
tosmith1
Tutor

Re: Hint: ReadySHARE USB Printer MAC_V2.36: add "IP" printer works where "Standard&qu

Thanks for update. I do have an airprint printer so this will not be an issue. Goodbye Genie.

Message 2 of 3
gensym
Tutor

Re: Hint: ReadySHARE USB Printer MAC_V2.36: add "IP" printer works where "Standard&am

> Goodbye Genie

I think I am learning/finding out what you perhaps mean to say.. ;-}

Many thanks for the feedback.

Model: ReadySHARE USB Printer|Convert your USB printer into a network printer
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7