Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Genie Remote access Registration failed

guatdad
Tutor

Netgear Genie Remote access Registration failed

I bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 in April 2014 so support has ended. I have been trying to setup the Netgear Genie to allow remote access. Even though Netgear shows the router as registered under my login, when I go to Remote Access using the Netgear Genie from a Windows 10 desktop (wired) using that same login, I get a message that the device is not registered and asks if I want to register this router. When I select Ok, the message says "the registration process failed, try again."

I followed steps in other postings. I erased the router to default. I installed the latest firmware, V1.0.7.12_1.2.5. I installed the Netgear Genie onto a new computer. Still the same. I even tried a different email address but got the same response. I am registered but the Netgear Genie Remote Access does not recognize it. Plus, I do not see anyway both logged into the Netgear site or through the Genie to unregister the product. I see a lot of postings that say if you wipe and reinstall that you can re-register the router. This does not work.

The Netgear website provides a method to register new devices but does not provide a method to deregister plus Netgear's own software cannot recognize the fact that the device is registered even though if I log in to the website or in the Netgear Genie, go to Network Support and log in, I can see the device. Within the next year, I may be looking to buy a new router. This is not giving me confidence in Netgear's products in buying a Netgear router the next time nor recommending their routers if something this simple cannot be fixed. I am seeing postings on this problem dating back 6 years.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28
Aussieboy
Aspirant

I have the same issue with my D7800 nighthawk modem wifi router.

Any new help would be appreciated.

Message 2 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @guatdad and @Aussieboy,

You can check the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26109

There is an Unregister button available on the NETGEAR Genie as indicated on step 11.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 28
guatdad
Tutor

I do not have the Unregister button probably because the router does not recognized it is indeed registered even though it is.Netgear Genie.JPGNetgear Genie with Router.JPG

Message 4 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @guatdad,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 28
Rizzol13
Aspirant

I'm also having this exact issue. What can I do to fix it?

Message 6 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Rizzol13,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of your device?

2. Please provide more information regarding the issue, your setup, and steps taken.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 7 of 28
guatdad
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000

v1.0.7.12_1.2.5

I have gone through the process of restoring to factory defaults. Before wiping, I downloaded the latest firmware. I wiped it and then loaded the newest firmware.

Message 8 of 28
guatdad
Tutor

Sorry, I thought you were replying to me. I have not heard anything back in awhile.

Message 9 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @guatdad,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 28
Rizzol13
Aspirant

R7000 with the newest firmware
Message 11 of 28
Rizzol13
Aspirant

I have followed all the steps online and don't have an unregister button.
Message 12 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Rizzol13,

1. Have you tried resetting the router?

2. Have you tried re-flashing the firmware then doing a factory reset?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 13 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Rizzol13,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 14 of 28
bripab007
Tutor

I just upgraded my R7000 from 1.0.7.x.x. firmware to the newest 1.0.8.34, and I'm unable to manage remotely via Netgear Genie app. Managing remotely via web URL still works fine.

Is this a FW bug? I don't see any register/unregister fields in my router. Do I need to turn off remote management and then back on to re-enable?

Message 15 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bripab007,

Please make sure you do a factory reset after updating the router's firmware.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 16 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bripab007,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 17 of 28
bripab007
Tutor

Hi, I actually just went through the password reset and got it working. I'm not sure why it didn't like that password because it was the same one I'd been using on other firmwares and I was still able to login to the netgear support site with that password...oh well, it's working now. 

Message 18 of 28
Khobbs1
Aspirant

I have similar problem, but am not in same location as router, can't login to reboot or anything. Registered router isn't recognized, so can't reboot. Router isn't responding doesn't help me remotely, even though I registered product while on site, about 1 year ago, just experiencing router issues. I know its router because multiple connected devices are not responding remotely either. Remote management doesn't work. I now must purchase additional hardware in order to have the ability to perform what is supposed to be native. Lesson learned on remote reliability.
Message 19 of 28
felix4tune
Aspirant

Hi, I too have the same issue. I had to reset to factory settings and now cannot register for remote management as the desktop app states that this product is already registered. 

PLEASE HELP!!

Message 20 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Khobbs1,

It would be best if you will be on site with the device to perform troubleshooting. You can try resetting the router and go through the setup for remote login. The link below may help.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26109

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 21 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @felix4tune,

1. What id the model number and firmware version of the router?

2. Are you still able to login using the credentials that you have setup?

3. If yes, you should have the option to un-register the device.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 22 of 28
Khobbs1
Aspirant

Message 23 of 28
Khobbs1
Aspirant

Thanks for the response, here are the responses to your questions:

model is wnr2000v4, don't know firmware, as router is inaccessible 

i am able to login to net gear genie app on multiple devices, none have router listed

physically b in gin front of router is NOT an option, it's more than 500 miles away.

accessibility did work on 3 different devices when tested on site.  A Windows laptop, an iOS phone and tablet.  Windows laptop is no longer available.

i am able to ping modem, but NOT router or a hard wired device attached to router or a wireless device connected to router.  I have dns configured.  I have tried using external ip as well as dns. I have modified port and login credentials on router.

i have an asus router configured for remote access as well and so far haven't had any issues.

thanks

Message 24 of 28
rajtech
Aspirant

Model version: Netgear R7000

Firmware: V1.0.8.34_1.2.15

I used to be able to remote access earlier, but doesnt work after I had to reset the router when it froze. Through the genie app on Mac, when I try to login remotely, it gives the popup "The device is not registered. Do you want to register this router?" and then gives the error "The registration process failed, try again". Please advise how to unregister this device and re-register again. I cannot see the Unregister button as the login does not succeed. Thanks much.

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7