Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Genie unusable on Mac

llalonde
Initiate

Netgear Genie unusable on Mac

Hello Folks,

Netgear genie is unstable on a Mac (El Capitan).   I cannot quit the application once I've finished using it.

I have to do a 'Force Quit' to kill the application.

Anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 39
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @llalonde,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 39
dtracz
Initiate

I had the same problem had to force quite  ,also my desktop picture changed to El Capitan.

Any fixes?

Message 3 of 39
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dtracz,

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 39
jasonhunt
Initiate

Me too!

Message 5 of 39
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jasonhunt,

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 39
koko125
Aspirant

I am having an issue with it as well.  Mine won't even launch.  I get a message that the installation was successful but when I launch the app,I get "You can't open the application "NETGEARGenie.app" because it may be damed or incomplete."

Message 7 of 39
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @koko125,

This issue has already been reported and engineering was already made aware. Rest assured, we are working on a fix and we do apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. Please keep an eye out for the next update for possible fixes.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 39
skydevilace
Aspirant

Having a problem with Netgear genie on iMAC using Yosemite. Need to log in multiple times. Also need to force quit after using. Have downloaded several times to no avail.

Message 9 of 39
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @skydevilace,

This issue is already being looked at and worked on by engineering. We do apologize for the inconvenience. Please do check for available updates for the app.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 39
brie
Tutor

why not post public solution? i had a similar problem too but just killed the app via terminal as any net.geek would do. bigger issue unable to find anywhere is how to UNINSTALL the (cr)app? i assume the installer is adding all sorts of daemon-ic detritus, so simply dragging to trash can't be enough. please help & add to genie FAQ or manual!

Message 11 of 39
fradan
Initiate

Same here (running latest version of Genie on Yosimite 10.10.5).

Have to force quit every time to get out of app and enter password multiple times.

How much longer before a fix?

Thanks

Message 12 of 39
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @fradan,

No ETA on the next update yet.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 13 of 39
MFMiltich
Aspirant

Same problem. Genie doesn't Quit - I have to use Force Quit to stop the Beach Ball of Death. I'm using MacBook Pro Retina (mid '12) and OSX 10.11.13. This has happened ever since I've tried using Genie and just downloaded the latest version, and it still is happening. Not nice!

Message 14 of 39
thelemonkid
Luminary

Genie is a disaster!

It has been updated now on iOS several times since the first post on this thread and it seams it has gone from acceptable to unbelievable bad. The Genie app on my MacBook Pro is also the weirdest app that you can imaging!

On my iPhone 6s with 64GB running 9.3.1 the app prevents my phone from going into standby and creating an extremely HOT phone! What kind of Guiding Light has written that app!!! It can seriously harm your phone! I am really angry about this kind of weird crapp!

On my Macbook Pro it is most likely the same. The (cr) app has a huge impact on energy consumption and it sets you CPU in overdrive! Get rid of this kind of complete obsolete apps!

And the bottomline is that each time you put new firmware on your router, which is often since it is a netgear product written by not too clever programmers, you are forced to download the app, even when you already downloaded it ten times before!

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 15 of 39
suelovesdc
Initiate

I have this exact same problem and its driving me crazy.. it also changed my background pictures.  what is the fix? 

Message 16 of 39
suelovesdc
Initiate

I have the same problem - please help! 

Message 17 of 39
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @suelovesdc,

1. What version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?

2. What version of OS X are you using?

3. You may also try following the steps below:

i. Log into the standard account.
ii. Reinstall the NETGEAR Genie app if it was removed.
iii. Navigate to Applications folder.
iv. Press and hold Control key and click on Genie app icon and select Get info option.
v. Once the NETGEAR Genie Info dialog box opens up click on Sharing & Permissions option to expend it.
vi. Click on the Lock icon in the bottom right of the Window to enable editing of the options.
vii. Click on the + icon in bottom left and double-click the standard account you want to add from the list of accounts under Users & Groups option.
viii. Once the account is added it will get Ready Only permission for the NETGEAR Genie app.
ix. Click on the Lock icon in bottom right again to lock the permissions.
x. You should now be able to use the NETGEAR Genie app without any issues.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 18 of 39
Sea
Guide
Guide

Netgear genie version: 2.4.12

OSX El Capitan ver. 10.11.4

This message is intended for "Dexter" who is responding, apparently on behalf of Netgear, to other customers who have posted about problems with Genie for Mac users.

Apparently, by default genie launches automatically. I see no option to keep it locked down (i.e., asleep until the user wants to awaken it). So I give you bad marks for that.

Next, as others have complained, genie does not quit gracefully. The only way to shut it down is to "force quit."

Evidently you have known about this for some time. That you have failed to fix this tells me that (a) you don't care or (b) you are incapable of fixing it. Is there a (c)?

This is vexing. Surely you can do better.

Message 19 of 39
Danzjen
Initiate

I have the same problem, cant qoit the program on El Capitain

Message 20 of 39
Bharathy84
Aspirant

I also have the same problem... This issue is happening for a long time.. Netgear is not interested in fixing this... Pathetic !!!

Message 21 of 39
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Bharathy84,

Do you have to force quit the app as well in order for it to close? Are you experiencing other issues as well?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 22 of 39
MFMiltich
Aspirant

That's my issue as well - having to use Force Quit to terminate the Genie application. It has been that way for years for multiple Mac OS versions/Genie versions. I reported this about a year ago and have not had any meaniful response. Because of this, it makes me concerned about what else the application isn't doing properly.

Thanks. 

Message 23 of 39
MFMiltich
Aspirant

That's my issue as well - having to use Force Quit to terminate the Genie application. It has been that way for years for multiple Mac OS versions/Genie versions. I reported this about a year ago and have not had any meaniful response. Because of this, it makes me concerned about what else the application isn't doing properly.

Thanks. 

Message 24 of 39
Bharathy84
Aspirant

Yes. I have to Force Quit the application everytime because I get beach ball when I do (Command + Q).

When I tried to execute (Command + Q) immediately after opening the app then the app quits !!!

Also the CPU usage of the app become very high after sometime... That's when I think quit does not work.

Regards,

Bharathy

Message 25 of 39
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7