Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk App- No devices no Parental Controls working RAX-48

TheBull
Aspirant

Nighthawk App- No devices no Parental Controls working RAX-48

I have a Netgear Nighthawk RAX48 modem. App and modem are latest version/firmware (both updated yesterday). The Nighthawk app shows no devices and gives me an error message when I go to "devices" and thus the parental controls (which I paid for) do not work. I've deleted the app then reinstalled. No change. The internet itself works good and I can use the web interface, but that doesn't have parental controls. I'm just trying to go back to where it limits the device time and time on certain apps. This was working a month or two ago then it stopped.

Message 1 of 4

Re: Nighthawk App- No devices no Parental Controls working RAX-48

@TheBull wrote:

I have a Netgear Nighthawk RAX48 modem.

That's a router, not a modem. What is the modem/gateway in front of it? The thing that connects you to the Internet?

The Nighthawk app shows no devices and gives me an error message when I go to "devices"

That could be down to a conflict with this unknown modem. Tell us what that is and you might get more help.

Did you find this?

How do I set up and install NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 4
TheBull
Aspirant

You're right, my mistake, it's a router.  It's a Centurylink C2000A modem.  It was all previously working until a few weeks ago, same router, same modem, Nothing has changed hardware wise.

Thank you for responding, I appreciate it.  The article about how to setup parental controls initially wasn't helpful because this was all already setup and working for over a year.  Then nothing changed and it stopped.

Message 3 of 4

@TheBull wrote:

You're right, my mistake, it's a router.  It's a Centurylink C2000A modem. 

That is a modem/router. This complicates any network operation.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems.

This explains some of the drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It was all previously working until a few weeks ago, same router, same modem, Nothing has changed hardware wise.

Something as basic as rebooting the network (switching things on and off) could prompt devices to change their settings. You said earlier that you have update the firmware on both of these things. That usually involves a reboot.

You might find it helpful to visit the section of this place that deals with parental controls.

NETGEAR Smart Home Parental Controls

Circle Smart Parental Controls

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7