Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router Parental Controls

ush6971
Follower

Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router Parental Controls

There is no parental controls on the nighthawk app. Whn i log into the router on my PC it says parental controls is NOT ENABLED. When i click parental controls it takes me to a netgear ad for netgear genie which is to outdated for my router. 

How do i fix this? I need the parental controls. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Re: Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router Parental Controls

Netgear has removed support for free parental controls from the Nighthawk App for mobile devices. It is also making it harder to enable parental controls in other ways.

If you haven't been there already, the first thing to try is the browser graphical user interface (GUI). This is the way into the router's controls with a wired connection from a PC.

An alternative is to begin with the desktop genie for your operating system.

Here too Netgear wants to kill off this useful tool and is hiding the usual landing pages for the software. If may still be on the support section for your hardware, feed in your model number here:

Support | NETGEAR

If not, it might still be here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

Scroll to the bottom and find the version for your operating system.

When it comes to managing Parent Controls after it is running, this is probably the best way in:

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

Good luck, you may need it.

Netgear has just announced that it is killing the free Live Parental Controls. So don't get to rely on it.

NOTICE: Live Parental Control Service based on Ope... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 12
zolo
Tutor

the only way I know of to fix it is to buy a new router from a different company

I personally will never buy a netgear product ever again

Message 3 of 12

@zolo wrote:

the only way I know of to fix it is to buy a new router from a different company

I personally will never buy a netgear product ever again

It took you more than a year to work that out?

Message 4 of 12
zolo
Tutor

I bought the router last year but did not have my kid living with me. I wanted parental controls when he moved in so I bought a router that states it has parental controls (clearly says parental controls on the box I still have, also still states this on Netgear website). The router works ok (some drops), but now that I have to have parental controls, the router is worthless. Not paying the BS subscriptions to Netgear when I can buy a better router that offers even better parental control for about $200 (which is how many months of a Netgear subscription?)

Message 5 of 12
zolo
Tutor

I usually look at user guide documentation before buying something like a router. I did this with Netgear x10 ad2700 and there is a large section of the user guide dedicated to parental controls. Neatgear clearly does not care if their documentation is up-to-date. The main thing they want is for you to have to buy a new router that requires a subscription to parental controls. LOL

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R9000/R9000_UM_EN.pdf

Message 6 of 12

@zolo wrote:

I usually look at user guide documentation before buying something like a router. I did this with Netgear x10 ad2700 and there is a large section of the user guide dedicated to parental controls. Neatgear clearly does not care if their documentation is up-to-date. The main thing they want is for you to have to buy a new router that requires a subscription to parental controls. LOL

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R9000/R9000_UM_EN.pdf

The R9000 – the correct Model Number for what you mistakenly call the x10 ad2700 which is a wifi technology indicator that is also used by other brands – dates back to 2017. A lot has changed since then, not all of it under Netgear's control.

There have been around 25 firmware updates for this device. Many of these, like the latest, are Security Fixes. But they also add, remove and change features. These features are also tied to the various apps that are there to help users to manage their devices.

Netgear has modified Parental Controls, partly because they used to depend on a third party intermediary.

NOTICE: Live Parental Control Service based on Ope... - NETGEAR Communities

As that explains, it is still possible to use the old approach and to get some free protection.

Message 7 of 12
zolo
Tutor

security controls are not the same as parental controls

OpenDNS + R9000 = zero parental controls

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Was told that the R9000 only had support for OPENDNS on the router however that service thru NG was discontinued last Dec 2021. 

However, I was also told that you could go to the OpenDNS site and setup an account there, then input OpenDNS dns addresses into the routers Internet/Use these DNS addresses here and the router will filter all items thru OpenDNS's services that way. 

Message 9 of 12

@FURRYe38 wrote:

However, I was also told that you could go to the OpenDNS site and setup an account there, then input OpenDNS dns addresses into the routers Internet/Use these DNS addresses here and the router will filter all items thru OpenDNS's services that way. 

They even explain how to go about it,

How to Enable/Disable Live Parental Controls – OpenDNS

Message 10 of 12
zolo
Tutor

you can still use OpenDNS with Netgear, but there are no parental controls other than very basic filtering, and if you use that filtering it is the same for everyone using the router, so it does not really provide function for addressing the needs of younger people vs adults both using the same router

Message 11 of 12
zolo
Tutor

very first sentence in the link you send:

"once your Netgear device has been registered with OpenDNS, you will be able to manage your setting in the parental control section of the Netgear Genie.

Problem is that Netgear Genie no longer has a "Parental Control" section  as it has been disabled

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7