Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Smart Phone app (Nighthawk) not working on new android. It shows "admin" on user name but shadowed..

IGBT
Aspirant

Smart Phone app (Nighthawk) not working on new android. It shows "admin" on user name but shadowed..

Admin password I set up onthe router fails to work on the phone app..please advise. 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: Smart Phone app (Nighthawk) not working on new android. It shows "admin" on user name

Sounds like a good strategy.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies

Re: Smart Phone app (Nighthawk) not working on new android. It shows "admin" on user name

@IGBT wrote:

Admin password I set up onthe router fails to work on the phone app..please advise. 

Hard to tell with so little information.

What is this router?

What is this phone app? (iPhone or Android?)

What are you doing when this happens? What error messages to do you. (I fear that "fails to work" could mean anything.)

Message 2 of 8
IGBT
Aspirant

It's a AC1200 model R6230...I can't log into the downloaded phone app yet I was able to set up and get running the R6230 Night Hawk on my desktop...but the "dashboard" only is available on the phone app. 

Message 3 of 8

@IGBT wrote:

It's a AC1200 model R6230...I can't log into the downloaded phone app yet I was able to set up and get running the R6230 Night Hawk on my desktop...but the "dashboard" only is available on the phone app. 

There is no Nighthawk app for the desktop. Do you mean the browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

What firmware version do you have on the R6230?

Using the Nighthawk app is a multi-stage process depending on how you approach it.

If you log into the local wifi, you should get a login for the router. Admin is the username (you cannot change that) with whatever password you have set for the GUI.

If you connect over the Internet, you have to provide the remote address and password for Anywhere Access. The final stage is to get into the router as above.

Message 4 of 8
IGBT
Aspirant

Nothing seems to work. The Admin entry box is shadowed with the word "admin" showing and the password I set up on the desktop GUI fails...do I really need the phone app access for the R6230 to work right?? Will it download firm wear updates on it's own like my old Linksys router did before it failed??

Message 5 of 8

@IGBT wrote:

...do I really need the phone app access for the R6230 to work right?? Will it download firm wear updates on it's own like my old Linksys router did before it failed??

Absolutely not. Many of us go nowhere near those pesky apps.

The R6230 is not one of Netgear's most advanced routers. The model is also six years old.Maybe it needs newer firmware to work with the Nighthawk app.

It may or may not support automatic firmware updates. (Many people turn that off because it can cause dead routers if it fails in mid stream.) The safest option is a manual update:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 8
IGBT
Aspirant

I've already deleted it from my phone. I keep my phone apps to a bare minimum to preserve the battery and reduce overall nuisance load. Even deleted news apps but kept a basic weather app. No games or similar. Thanx...I'll do with out the phone app.  

Message 7 of 8

Sounds like a good strategy.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series