Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: no way to download firmware upgrade dgn2200v4

notagain
Aspirant

no way to download firmware upgrade dgn2200v4

the genie page says there's an upgrade and do I want to download it.  But it gives no way to do so.  There isn't a yes / no / check box or whatever.  Please would someone advise how to download this?  Searched netgear drop-down boxes but they didn't even list this router.  help appreciated.  Thank you 🙂

Message 1 of 12
WinnerPlus
Tutor

I'm not sure what current firmware version your running on, however the newest firmware version on the NETGEAR Support site is v1.0.0.66 (All Regions Except Germany). I have also check the DGN2200v4 firmware folder and nothing has newer has been released to the public.

So if you are looking to update to v1.0.0.66, and unsure how to, I suggest reading the NETGEAR Support article: Installing Latest Firmware on a NETGEAR router

If you would like to install the firmware manually read this guide.

If you need anything else, feel free to ask.

Message 2 of 12
notagain
Aspirant

Hi.  You've got the right upgrade, but I'd already tried all your solutions before posting on this forum.  I can't download it manually because, although the update is availale, the netgear site doesn't recognise anything relevant to this router model.  Still hoping for a solution!

Message 3 of 12
netwrks
Master

@notagain wrote:

Hi.  You've got the right upgrade, but I'd already tried all your solutions before posting on this forum.  I can't download it manually because, although the update is availale, the netgear site doesn't recognise anything relevant to this router model.  Still hoping for a solution!

Just download the firmware to your laptop / desktop from the NG web site. Use the browse function to upload to your router..

Router manual link - See Page 73.

Message 4 of 12
VE6CGX
Master

I never use Genie when I use any Netgear router. I do every thing manually from web GUI. As mentioned already manually do it.

Message 5 of 12
WinnerPlus
Tutor

@notagain wrote:

When you say netgear site, which site do you mean? If you post a screenshot, hopefully we will understand how far you have progressed.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 12
VE6CGX
Master

There is no difference downloading f/w file or any other file from Internet. OP, you mean you are not allowed to download

f/w you want?  There you find the f/w "123.xyz" you want to download. Click it to download, then what happens?

Message 7 of 12
notagain
Aspirant

by the netgear site I mean netgear.com.  I thought it was the obvious place to go to find a firmware update for a netgear router.  But as I've been saying, this website does not list this update as being available. Or any update come to that. 

I cannot download firmware to a laptop when the firmware doesn't show up.

I don't know what is meant by web GUI.  

VE6CGX:  Guessing that by OP you meant OR, then it's not that I'm not allowed to download the firmware it's that there is no means to do so.  

If anyone else reads these posts please do not click on the 123 link in that reply as it won't help and appeared to be a rather dodgy website.

The only place I have that shows the update is required is on Genie, and that does not provide the means to update.    It just asks me if I want to.

Sorry I can't be any clearer.  I appreciate that you've all taken the time to reply, but so far you're as much in the dark as I am!

Message 8 of 12
WinnerPlus
Tutor

Ok, lets start from the beginning. Follow these steps to update automatically in the Web GUI (graphical user interface😞

1. Open your web browser
  2. Visit http://www.routerlogin.net
  3. A window pops up asking for a username & password. Use admin for the username & password for the password.
  4. When the page loads, click on the tab 'Advanced'. On the side menu click on 'Administration' then a sub-menu appears. On that sub menu click on 'Router Update'
  5. A page should load in the centre of your screen. Click on the button 'Check'. This prompts Smart Wizard to check for new firmware. If the router detects a new firmware is available, you can proceed with updating the router firmware.

The upgrade process typically takes about 1 minute.

Afterwards you should be updated to latest firmware.

Now I'll answer some of your comments, just so you understand what we are talking about.

@notagain wrote:

by the netgear site I mean netgear.com.  I thought it was the obvious place to go to find a firmware update for a netgear router.  But as I've been saying, this website does not list this update as being available. Or any update come to that. 

There are lots of locations on the netgear site where you can download the firmware update. e.g. http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/,  http://netgear.com/support/ & more.

@notagain wrote:

Guessing that by OP you meant OR, then it's not that I'm not allowed to download the firmware it's that there is no means to do so.  

OP is short for Original Poster

@notagain wrote:

If anyone else reads these posts please do not click on the 123 link in that reply as it won't help and appeared to be a rather dodgy website.

@VE6CGX was referring to the name of the firmware. So for instance the firmware could be called '123.xyz', it wasn't meant to be a link to a domain name. In this case the firmware name is called 'DGN2200v4-V1.0.0.66_1.0.66.chk'. VE6CGX was just giving an example of what it looks like.

I hope this helps.

Message 9 of 12
VE6CGX
Master

Whoa! I am not in the business of giving a fish to a hungry man. I want to teach him how to fish himself. Remind me of

old saying.  It is just so hard to believe some times what's going on here. Feeling like giving up.  Using Genie is handy.

It won't let you learn anything, Sigh!

Message 10 of 12
notagain
Aspirant

Hi WinnerPlus.  What you told me to do is what I've been doing all along.  That's the genie page that shows the update, asks me if I want to upgrade it now, but doesn't give any way of doing so.  

VE6cgx, if you haven't given up already I won't mind if you do 🙂  I'm not into technology and am just trying to install what should be a simple upgrade.  If you have difficulty with technophobes you need to steer clear of me to keep your sanity.  Your fishing tips made no sense to me at all!

Message 11 of 12
WinnerPlus
Tutor

@notagain, please could you post a screenshot of the update page. Thanks.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7