× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Installing VPN on XR1000

valentino89
Aspirant

Installing VPN on XR1000

Good day, I have just purchased a Nighthawk XR1000 and am a bit confused as to why there is such little support on this router?

I have been trying to install a VPN on my computer to work with this router but nothing seems to be compatible?

Also I have tried using Open VPN but again it is also not connecting? Any suggestions as to how to use a VPN with this router?

My geo filter also does not seem to find a game if I put my location outside the UK. Is this because I need a VPN?

Message 1 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Installing VPN on XR1000

What's the purpose of the VPN exactly work or for gaming? Disable QoS fully in the Congestion Control menu and then see if it works. The idea of the Geo-Filter is to get the closest/lowest ping servers, if you're trying to connect really far away it may not work as well. What location are you trying to force?
Message 2 of 17
valentino89
Aspirant

Hi I still have not yet managed to get a VPN working on the XR1000. It was for work and gaming use. 

I tried with various companies and none seem compatible with teh XR1000. I cannot figure out how to install openvpn either? any information on how to do this?

the description on the website links are not very clear?

Message 3 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What do you mean by trying to install OpenVPN, do you mean the OpenVPN PC client?
Did you disable QoS fully?
Message 4 of 17
DSandu
Aspirant

Dear Netgear Moderator,

I am in the same situation, I am just looking better lobbies outside my country. My QoS I guess is disabled, ir say ''Never''. I am looking for a VPN. I am looking for a VPN compatible with our XR1000 Router. Can you tell us what would it be?

Message 5 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

QoS should be enabled for the best connection. Using a VPN to find games will increase your latency. Any VPN you apply on the PC itself will work with the router, no specific recommendations
Message 6 of 17
DSandu
Aspirant

I understand.

May I ask you another question?

I don't know if I have to keep connecting the two routers? That is to say, my current router from the Internet provider fritz! Box 6591 and the netgear xr1000.
Wouldn't it be enough to just use the xr1000 as the only router in the house?

Message 7 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The XR needs to be connected to a modem to get an internet connection and the fritz is a modem/router so that will be needed. You can disable WiFi on the fritz and connect all devices to the XR and it will be more efficient
Message 8 of 17
karsonklay
Aspirant

VPNs suck for gaming, it's a known fact. They can help unblock but it's usually the route the OP or anyone for that matter shouldn't take.

Message 9 of 17
DSandu
Aspirant

after all your opinions, then what does the xr1000 do if I'm already using a fritz router! Box 6660?

I don't understand why I bought the xr1000 !!! I thought I could adjust the frames in the game, but this I can prioritize my PC from my fritz router! Box 6660 ..... Have I made one other purchase that I don't need?

Message 10 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What do you mean adjust the frames?

The router allows you to get the best connection possible through a combination of QoS and the Geo-Filter to get the best servers.
Message 11 of 17
DSandu
Aspirant

XR1000 losing data

The problem is that I have the feeling that I am losing data.
I explain:
I am playing CoD and many times (I think more than 50%) I shoot the enemy first and it feels like the bullets have no impact.
I am using my fritzbox 6660 from vodafone 1000mbit/s and then I have my xr1000 connected to it.
When I do the speed test only with the fritzbox 6660 I have 100% the contracted speed, but when I connect the xr1000 it lowers the speed by 30% -40%.
This is why I have this feeling, do you understand me now? 🙂

I'm using the best internet cable on the market. My PC is new and equipped with the latest on the market.

What you think? What should I do?

Message 12 of 17
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR1000 losing data

You're probably seeing the reduction in bandwidth speed as a result of QoS, this is the intended behaviour. You can confirm this by disabling QoS fully from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, then re-test your speeds.

The reason you're experiencing poor hit registration is likely due to the fact you're going through a VPN and not playing on a local server. You could confirm this by disabling HybridVPN, then set your Geo-filter more local and monitor how the game feels?

Message 13 of 17
DSandu
Aspirant

I have disabled QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control and still the same result or even worse (see picture attach.) , but I don't use HybridVPN, I have never touched something like this ... don't I know what HybridVPN you are talking about. Can you be more explicit please? Where can I found this HybridVPN pls?

Message 14 of 17
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Apologies, I forgot you were using an XR1000, you won't have HybridVPN yet.

Are you using a VPN still? If so, please disable it and re-test.

Message 15 of 17
DSandu
Aspirant

If you mean an external VPN, I don't use any of this.
If you mean a VPN inside XR1000, I don't know where to look to see if it is active or not.

Message 16 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the actual ping to the game you're getting as shown by the Geo-Filter and what ping do you see in game?
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7