× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Local DNS Settings - Lets add the fact XR1000 doesn't come up as a mdel for support on here!!!!

xbrico
Aspirant

Local DNS Settings - Lets add the fact XR1000 doesn't come up as a mdel for support on here!!!!

Hello, Recently purchased an XR1000 due to a WRT32X WiFi fully dying on me! Great wee router, love the layout. One big problem with the DumaOS though...you can't advertise a local DNS server in the LAN settings? Is therea sensible reason for this? I use local DNS/PiHole to adblock and custom DNS filter per MAC for child access and the likes. I have taken the settings from my WRT router (As this is translatable to any unix system) and have them running in PiHole but due to the inability to set DNS, all requests to the PiHole come from 192.168.1.1 rather than the hosts which totally blows those settings out of the water.

I can't see a sensible reason for not allowing users to set a Static LAN DNS address if they so wish? I can tell the router to use the PiHole for WAN DNS requests for itself but this creates an unnesessary loop for machines of device>router>pihole>router wan>pihole>user whereas my pihole is setup with Caching, recursive DNS and blocking so after 1st request its user>pihole [cache - allowed/blocked] > WAN > user. The router as middleman also creates issues for NSLookup/dig and other troubleshooting tools.

I know I can't be the only person with an XR device that uses pihole or local/custom DNS; so is allowing local configuration of lan (If required) a big difficulty to add? Is it something we could get added in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Local DNS Settings - Lets add the fact XR1000 doesn't come up as a mdel for support on here!!!!

Couldn't say what the reason is, it would be down to NG to implement the feature, unfortunately not something we have a say on. @TimChang maybe this is something you could add?
Message 2 of 6
xbrico
Aspirant

Hello and thanks for the reply. It's been in every Netgear router I have ever dealt with going back to the wrt54g. Never known any aftermarket router that hasn't allowed you to set a local DNS server in the lan settings.

Also, don't know if it's a 'bugger by design. Have noticed if you use a LAN address for the WAN DNS, you get constant gui errors and inability to change LAN settings as 'the LAN address conflicts with the WAN subnet'. It doesn't, if you change the WAN DNS settings to a public IP address, you can then edit your LAN settings (and apply any static DHCP reservations) without error. So fir some reason the router OS thinks a DNS setting is the WAN subnet, which I'd bad coding.
Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for that, that certainly is interesting. Again, this is another aspect of the router that's made and implemented by Netgear so I'm afraid it's not something I can best advise on. Could you please confirm which firmware version you're currently running?

Message 4 of 6
xbrico
Aspirant

Hello, running latest from the netgear website - v1.0.0.58
Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK thank you for confirming, I'd suggest raising a ticket with Netgear directly if you haven't already, you can do this at support.netgear.com.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7