× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk xr1000 resetting SSID

silentsword768
Aspirant

Nighthawk xr1000 resetting SSID

I recently bought a Netgear Nighthawk Xr1000 and am having a strange issue that has happend twice. Most recently i woke up in the moring and the internet was down I checked to make sure it wasnt an outage and my modem was up and running and it was. After looking at my router all lights were on solid not blinking as normal. I pressed the on/off switch on the back to rest the router. When I did think my network name changed to Netgear and I could no longer access the network so I had to do a hard reset.  This has ahppend once before and again required going through inital setup again. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Thanks for any help.

Current Firmware 1.0.0.52_1.0.38

Message 1 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

So it's just the SSID that's resetting? Are you able to connect to the interface via ethernet when this problem occurs? This would allow you to look into the Wi-Fi settings to check if the SSID has actually changed.

Message 2 of 14
silentsword768
Aspirant

Thats correct the network name is changing after I hit the on/ off button. at that point i cant access the network. I have tried to use the app and the dumaos interface. All my devices show a network called Netgear. I havent tried to connect via ethernet port to access setting didnt think of that. Im really trying to understand if this is a hardware issue i have only had the router 2 months and this has happened twice. It works great untill this happens. And i cant seem to easily replicate the issue.

Thanks for your help

Message 3 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

It's not an issue I've heard before, I can tell you that.

Let me know if you're able to access the interface over an ethernet connection next time, that may give us a little more insight.

Message 4 of 14
Raustal
Guide

I have had this issues as well. I had to stop using the router as well because of this issue. I am also on the latest firmware (1.0.0.52). I purchased this router in early May and this happened about 4-5 times since then. I went back to my older hardware because the issue.
This is what I noticed:
-Setup of the router is pretty staright forward. It works well for a good while (couple of weeks or so)
-the problem gets noticed when I try to login via the apps (nighthawk / netduma) and it does not respond. It says the router can't be found in the nighthawk app.
-i try to login via browser and there is a error page about Netduma issue (can't remember it). I then restart the router by powering it off then on from the physical switch on back of device.
-upon power up the router restarts and defaults to some "NETGEAR##" wifi. I login to the admin page and goes into the setup process again. All customized and personal settings are lost and I usually have to factory reset. This is a rinse and repeat effect that is annoying (at least ever 2 - 3 weeks)
-Side Note: the longest that it work without issues is when I forgot to set my custom DNS ips after one of the problem resets. The ips were set for both IPV4 and IPV6 using the cloudflare dns servers. Shortly after this the problem occurred again. I didn't test this again because I got really frustrated and went back to my old hardware. It becomes cumbersome when I need to reconnect all my ip cams after every problem. I hope this leads to a fix.

EDIT: I found the error I get.
Haserl CGI Error
Failed to readline from 'config get DumaOS_Theme_Version
Message 5 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for your feedback. My initial thought is it might be a power issue as that can cause a reset. Was the router connected to a power extender for example?
Message 6 of 14
silentsword768
Aspirant

Thanks for you help.

A power issue? I know that my home did not lose power. No other electronics were effected when I experienced this issue. To answer your question it is plugged into a surge protector as has every router I have owned. I also have other devices connected to this power strip/ surge protector none of them experienced an issue. I actually just checked a NAS i own to see if it went down and it did not. Again when I came down all lights were solid which is strange no blinking at all and the network name had changed but i couldn't access the network wireless. I had to manually reset to regain access .I would hope that a loss of power wouldn't cause a network name change. Is that a known issue? 

Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well most devices would start up again when they have power so you may not know depending on when it was. It's not necessarily a power outage but could be a fluctuation, using an extender the power is split between all those devices. I'd suggest plugging directly into a wall outlet if possible and seeing if it happens again, I've seen it happen a handful of times
Message 8 of 14
Raustal
Guide

Hi, thanks for the response. The device was connected to a surge protector along with my other electronic devices. No power outages or extension cords were used. I setup my device again as my primary router. I'm hoping to not run into this issue again. The only thing different that I am doing now is that I did not setup ipv6. I am only using ipv4 and custom dns servers using cloudflare. Any way that I can monitor the device? When the error happens, I can't get to the log files to determine the issue because I need to reset to access device settings screen.
Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you connect a USB/HD to the router via USB you can go to 192.168.1.1/debug.htm start debug log capture on startup, select the USB, then reboot from the interface and then you should get the log entries on the USB right up until the issue occurs
Message 10 of 14
Raustal
Guide

Okay, I will try this. If the issue occurs again, then hopefully we will have something to work with. Thank you!
Message 11 of 14
ScottyFrogs
Initiate

I also have this issue after power outages(plugged into wall), there are similar threads on this as well, it’s clearly a bug.

Oddly mine resets the SSIDs to Netgear and Netgear5G, not the specific SSID(Netgear40) and pw that’s on my router. I have to then hard reset it to get it back to a state where I can reconfigure it with the QR code.

I’m on the latest firmware. Please fix this in the next release or a change of routers it will need to be.

Edit: Other examples.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/Netgear-XR1000-Looses-config-after-...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Router-wifi-settings-gone-after-power-outage/m...

Message 12 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the heads up, as it seems you've had this a few times can you setup everything how you would like, then reboot the router from the interface please. Then when you next get a power outage can you see if you observe the same behavior? The reboot should act as a hard save so that may be the problem.
Message 13 of 14
ScottyFrogs
Initiate

Ok, I've done that and will report back on next power outage.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7